Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

What is the recipe to make 5000psi grout or mortar using…

Customer Question
what is the recipe to...
what is the recipe to make 5000psi grout or mortar using only portland cement type I/II or N, sand and water by ratio.
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Home Improvement
10/2/2017
Home Improvement Expert: Machinc, General Contractor replied 10 months ago
Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor
Its one part water
Two parts cement
and three parts sand .
More .......
Mix the sand and cement dry then add the water . Mix in small batches. You should use a mixer unless you are very persistent and mixing really small batches.
There is 5000 psi mortar available in ready mix where all you add is water .
Usually the sand is dry but it can contain more moisture than you might think. Especially if is from a load and not a bag .
Always add the water in a smaller amount increasing to the full amount depending on the consistency of the mortar as you go.
Its always easier to add more water.
Once mixed test the mortar for adhesion with a trowel and then proceed . Don't let a batch last much longer than an hour .
If mixing a small batch use a bucket to measure. Add Two buckets of cement
Three buckets of sand and use the same bucket to slowly add one bucket of water.
http://www.tccmaterials.com/spec-mix/corefill-masonry-grout-5000-psi/
Using less sand will increase the strength of the mortar but curing time is also a factor .
To get a true 5000 psi I would use a pre mix mortar product. .
http://usa.sika.com/dms/getdocument.get/57e2297f-c85c-3fba-b170-b75a3532416d/pds-cpd-SikaQuick1000-us.pdf
Aboutv28 days after application
is needed to reach 5000 psi with portland cement.
If you are sure you need it to be that strong use two parts sand two parts cement and one part water . But the original formula should be all you need for mortar.
For normal construction
If your specifications demand 5000
psi I would use the pre mix to be safe.
like 6000psi would be 1-1 cement sand? and it doesn't matter if it's type I/II or N?
what about adding like 1/2-1in poly fiber, acrylic liquid and or super plasticizer and fly ash. will that raise it more
But in the long run to be sure
I would go with one of the pre mix
brands to get an exact 5000 lb nix.
Im sorry , my yes about the additional ingredients must not have posted . It would
great thanks. do you have a link or anything you could send showing the
one part water
Two parts cement
and three parts sand recipt for 5000psi
Im sorry let me clarify
The last formula
1 water
2 cement
3 sand
Is the norm for 3000
1 water
2 sand
3 cement
Would be 5000 psi
However fine sand and coarse sand change the strength .
You may order one and get the other . Also moisture content of the sand changes things.
While 3000 psi is the norm if your specifications specify 5000 PSI and less than that is not acceptable then
I would only use the premix brand to guarantee 5000 .
Here is a link with a lot of studies and data.
The bottom of the last page shows the formula but you have to convert it to see the 1,2,3 parts formula.
It is figured to yards
you gotta be kidding me. we already poured. why did you answer the recipt for 3000psi when i asked for 5000psi.? what a joke.
The paragraph at 10 43 gave the 5000 formula a few days ago
I also said Idid not reccomend trying to mix 5000
I reccomended using a ready mix if 5000 was really needed .
I dont know what you are building
but you never gave the impression we were finished discussing the options .
We have gone over this a lot .
You saying you have poured implies concrete not mortar or grout .
Sorry but I am opting out .