Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

I have a rental property that was being worked on, including…

Customer Question
Hello. I have a rental...
Hello. I have a rental property that was being worked on, including a new tile surround around the bathtub. The tile was 8 x 24 and looks like wood. I had asked at one point if it could be installed without grout and was told of course that no, I could not on the shower walls due to leaks. In my absence, someone did tile more than half of it with very very little or no line at all for grout. Do we have to remove it all now or is there a sealer or something we can use to keep water from getting behind it?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Home Improvement
10/1/2017
Home Improvement Expert: Rick, General Contractor replied 8 months ago
Rick
Rick, General Contractor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of your situation. Is there any gap at all? You only need 1/16"?

Some tiles seem to have a tiny gap, perhaps 1/16, not sure and some seem very snug

You need at least 1/16" for grout any less than that and the tile has to come down unless you have a water proof membrane/backer (not just Durock) behind the tile.

It is Durarock behind it. Is there any sealer, etc that would work in the really tight spaces?

Sorry no sealer will seal tile butted together with no grout.