Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

Rick, My property was broken into. They kick three sliding…

Customer Question
Hi Rick,My property was broken...
Hi Rick,My property was broken into. They kick three sliding glass doors. It was $1300 to replace the class but I found a used final door for $150! I need to replace the door. I have some people that are jacks of all trades helping me today but would like to know the official way to do it. Do I need to use bitcathane around the open ring or just black paper? What's the process?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Home Improvement
9/30/2017
Home Improvement Expert: Rick, General Contractor replied 7 months ago
Rick
Rick, General Contractor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of your situation.

Are they replacing the entire door? frame and all? looks like you have stucco siding?

We purchased a American reliable double pane sliding glass door
Vinyl
94"x79.5"

Ok, then current standard practice is to install a self adhering membrane flashig like Vycor all the way around the perimeter of the exterior frame (top and sides) where it meets the sheathing and under the unit's base (sill/threshold) as well.

The jerk helping me is saying we should only silicone it in. PLEASE give me some amo
We are removing old vinyl window
He's yelling at me saying we need to pull it out first.

All I can tell you is the proper way to do it. Just using silicone will ause a leak. The vinyl expands too muc and the bond to the sillicone will fail. Maybe you should find somebody else if the guy is yelling at you and wants to do it wrong.

I cannot. This is a rental property and renters are coming today. He's the only person I could find to help me. That's why I need your help. I'm handy and ran the jI b building my home, drew the plans and had deputy inspectors praise me. I can follow instructions if you can send me something to follow please. I don't have the physical strength to do this. I have two big guys helping me. I need to tell them what to do
Driving to Lowe's now to buy materials

Is the replacement door smaller or the same size as the old door?

Also what tools do you think we will need?
One inch smaller

If I have to tell your guys what tools they'll need they aren't qualified to do the work.

We need to fir it in
You're telling me so I make sure the tools are onsite
They have some tools but the closest hardware store is far so I'd rather be overprepard than caught short
Bud, my friend from elementary school, just did a major remodel on a home single handedly. But I've known him since elementary school and don't want him taking shortcuts hence my email to you

Then he should have all the tools he needs.

HES FROM WASHINGTON. IM in California. He doesn't have his tools
Are you going to play games or help me?

I'm going to open this up to my colleagues so one of them can help. Please don't respond (even to acknowledge this post)until you get a response from us. If you respond first it will only delay your answer.

I need help, not bantering back and forth as to whether or not my help is qualified. If I made the determination to use them, that's my prerogative. I'm asking you, as an EXPERT, to guide me, tell me what I should have here to accommodate their needs and make sure it's done properly. That's what I'm paying for.
Rick
Rick
Rick, General Contractor