Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

What is the building code for unsupported granite overhang.

Customer Question
What is the building...

What is the building code for unsupported granite overhang

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Recent

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No, it was done by a licensed contractor. They put a 12 1/2 inch overhang in granite counter. I was told yesterday by another general contractor the granite cabinet is in violation of california building laws I will ask the Granite contractor to correct, but I need to know if this is really a reguluation

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Home Improvement
Answered in 5 days by:
10/4/2017
Home Improvement Expert: Susan Latta, General Contractor replied 10 months ago
Susan Latta
Susan Latta, General Contractor

Hi, my name is***** Contractor and Kitchen and Bath Designer. Welcome to Just Answer, I will be assisting you with your question.

Hi. I didn't find the code specifically in California, but I can guarantee that supporting a 12.5" granite overhang is the SAFE thing to do and is in your best interest to protect it from breaking off and hurting someone....and your investment. This is common knowledge throughout the industry to always support granite overhangs. You can either apply decorative corbels, use metal angle iron, or purchase these counter balances from Lowes, that won't show: https://www.lowes.com/pd/CounterBalance-CounterPlate-3-Pack-0-1875-in-x-3-75-in-x-9-75-in-Black-Countertop-Support-Brackets/50218399The counter balances are placed every 16-20-inches and need to be ordered. A basic countertop support is typically placed every 30-36-inches. I'm surprised the cabinet maker didn't discuss with you your options before the building of the cabinets began.

If you have additional questions regarding this subject, please feel free to ask. Thank you for using Just Answer as your handy, go-to informational resource!

Susan

If you feel I have addressed your concerns, please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; this is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating, will not end our conversation, should you have additional questions surrounding this topic. Simply click on “Reply” to write back and I am happy to continue with no additional charges.