Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

I m looking for a chemical formulation for expansive grout…

Customer Question
I m looking for a...
I m looking for a chemical formulation for expansive grout for rock demolition
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Home Improvement
Answered in 4 days by:
10/3/2017
Home Improvement Expert: Matt, Engineer replied 10 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Traditionally to split a large rock you would hammer in wood splinters to an existing crack and then soak the wood in water

the splinters swell up and this cracks the rock

That was not what I was looking for. I am looking for a chemical formulation to make a cementious grout to cracking rocks and concrete slabs.

Ok

I'll opt out good luck

Home Improvement Expert: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 10 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

This is not an answer.

All 'grouts' harden and stick to the rock... so you do not want a grout.. Mother nature uses water for the purpose, it expands and cracks rock when it freezes and gets into the tinniest fissures. that works very well, it takes many freeze /thaw cycles though.

"Hydraulic cement' expands to fill any crack that it is poured into, but not with enough force to split a rock...it also adheres to the rock.

Good luck with your project