Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

How do I trace a breaker trip?

Customer Question
how do I trace a breaker trip?
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Home Improvement
9/27/2017
Home Improvement Expert: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 10 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, you need a 'clamp around' type 'ampmeter' then you clamp it round one wire at time, of the suspected load, such as the common wire that runs to the compressor in an air conditioner, and measure the amperage, if it stays above the breakers maximum amp rating for more than 2 or 3 seconds, then you have found the problem.

If the breaker trips on amperage draws less than the rating stamped on the breaker, then the breaker is bad.

CLICK HERE FOR PICTURES OF THE TYPE AMPMETER YOU NEED, $5O at most big box stores, $28 at Harbor freight.

.

We can go from there without a time limit, after you rate this answer:

Select the 'finish and rate your expert link' near the top of your page and click on it.

.

OPENING STATEMENTS

Important note about RATING my work:

I am a retired mechanical engineer and HVAC/electrical/ refrigeration and boiler contractor ... with 56 years in this business. The last 20 of those years consulting for major firms nationally.. and with over 8,000 questions answered here since 2009, with a 98.5% satisfaction rating.

.

All I ask is please respect me and my input by selecting the***RATING LINK***at the top of your page, that is the only way I am credited through the site. Rating does not affect your charges nor ability to refund if not satisfied.

.

If you need to be coached through a full diagnosis/repair,and wiring etc. for up to two days, and wish to be trained to use test instruments...... that goes well beyond' Just a simple Answer' of course, and goes beyond what most other experts here offer.....rate my answer so far positively.. . and I will deliver that training and coaching to you All on the same dime so to speak.

That said, I cannot guarantee that you will not do something unsafe, or cause damages. You take that risk.

.

Lacking a positive rating I can spend days helping a person at my own expense and loose my shirt, shorts and socks on the deal.

.

Attach a close up photo of the wiring diagram glued to the inside of the blower access door and I will mark it up with trouble shooting instructions then follow up with step by step training and coaching until you have a solution.

.

Photo must be exceedingly well focused. Use the 'add files' link next to your send button to get the photo to me.

.

Phone call offers:

If you wish to accept the companies $25 phone call offer, if indeed they send you one, this will go a *lot faster, but it IS 100% optional... or we can continue here in this dialog box at no additional charge.