Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

Garage motor reverses itself after about 2 feet even with…

Customer Question
Garage motor reverses itself...

Garage motor reverses itself after about 2 feet even with the chain disconnected

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

2 weeks. The sprocket broke so we replaced it. Now the motor reverses itself

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

We had a handyman replace the sprocket, but I can give it a try

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Nothing yet

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Home Improvement
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/21/2017
Home Improvement Expert: Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor replied 11 months ago
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor

Hi my name is ***** *****’d be happy to help you with your difficulties today but I will need some information and I will ask you questions that I will need specific answers for. Whenever you replace some parts it will be necessary to make some adjustments

1-) The make and model or number of the devices in question and do you have the manuals for them?

2-) how old it might be and if you are the original owner

3-) there are 2 safety sensors on your door do both have either an amber, or green light that is on steady and not flickering?

4-) can you tell me if you have a working wall control and how many working remotes

5-) any flashing LED lights on the opener (ceiling unit) and how many times it blinks before pausing? The color of the learn button is?

6-) has there been any kind of disruption that may have changed the dynamics with this opener....any wiring or perhaps the kids playing there or a recent power outage

7-) what happened that made it go from working to non-working ?

8-) are you using only the equipment that came with this opener?

9-) do you have a chain......belt......or screw drive?

10-) what exactly happens when you do click the transmitter?....... the door doesn't move but you hear the motor?......it goes partial way?........reverses?

11-) do you feel that you are capable of making simple adjustments and more than mechanical in making some harder ones if necessary?

We can start here and with the info you provide I will add steps toward our target as we proceed by our correspondence

If by some reason a resolution to the problem just isn't possible, I will do my best to supply you with any remaining options, from what other resources I can find.

Since we take pride in our good reputations, and you might feel the need to choose a bad service rating, I ask that you stop and consider replying back to me with any of your concerns.

Please always allow me time to prepare information for you. In case I have to go offline I am always checking back to keep things moving and expedited.

And thank you for your help and assistance

eddie

If you have any additional questions so that I can receive credit or any concerns, construction.......decorating....... any kind of repairs, etc I will be here for you

thank you

eddie