Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

I need help planning proper ventilation for my attic and

house.Thank you...
I need help planning proper ventilation for my attic and house.Thank you
you know this is existing house it's about 10 years old. After I had this vinyl siding home bricked about 4 years ago I have a weird smell sometimes in my attic especially in hot weather and the smell leaks over into my bonus room that is above garage that is essentially also in the attic. I have ridge vents so the contractor that did the bricking said he could cover up the two existing gable vents. I am wondering if the ridge was drawing extra air it needed from these gable vents expecially since I have two valleys coming down in this area.... I been getting ice dams as well in this area. I am wondering if I should put gable vents back in where he covered these or what other steps should be taken to eliminate the smell and also at one time I was getting sweat beading up on the drywall undernead the window trim facings and comign out onto the dryway. I removed the trim and spray foamed good in this void around the windows and ever since that sweating has stopped but I still worry that there is some sweating going on .
9/21/2017
Rick
Rick, General Contractor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your

issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of your situation.

Do you also have soffit vents?

I think I am limited on soffit vents. there are some maybe but a large portion of this is valleys coming down so there isn't a lot of soffit to even draw from if this makes sense. This could have been why the gable vents were there in the first place and may have needed to have stayed in.

A ridge vent is useless without soffit vents along the length of the house. In your case the gable vents were a good alternative.

I am sending pics to give you idea. You can see the picture where I drew in where a fable vent used to be and it got covered up with brick. So you think that since there's not much soffit vent that I need as many of these gable vents as possible so the ridge vent has skemtjkng to draw from?

Ridge vents are designed to be used with soffit vents. Their pirmary purpose is to keep the roof sheathing cold to help mitigate ice dams. The gable vents you had provided general attic ventilation. Gable vents don't facilitate ventilation through a ridge vent. I'd suggest you cut in a gable vent in each gable to improve attic ventilation.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok what would be the best way to go about this. ? One place I know the entire triangle at top of wall in the gable is open behind the brick because there used it be a vent there that someone fabricated from vinyl soffit vent. Should I just have a square cut I. The brick to make it as neat as possible then slide the gable vent back in there. I just need to know the proper way these vents should be put in so I can be sure my contractor does this the right way I don't want problems or leaks later.So you're saying the ridge and soffit don't do much to actually ventilate the attic?

Properly installed ridge and soffit vents also ventilate the attic as well as mitigating ice dams. But you need the convective flow for it to work from soffit to ridge. I'd install rectangular vents and cut the hole in the brick to fit the vent frame. The new vents should be mounted on the outside of the brick.

Do you have more questions?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm not sure how to install it? After the hole is cut would the whole just be cut so that the vent is tight and won't come out and just caulk around it ? I'm not real sure.

Depends on the vent. You could screw into the mortar joints with TapCon screws which are made for screwing into concrete. I wouldn't rely on caulking to hold it in place.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What vent would you recommend could you send me a link. I will need to order them and tell the brick guy how to cut hole and how I want them installed.

Go to a local lumber yard or even a big box store and see what they have in stock.

Here's one option at Lowes. They have many others. It should be at least this big and either vinyl or aluminum.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Air-Vent-15-75-in-x-26-5-in-White-Rectangle-Aluminum-Gable-Vent/3488713

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks. How is it kept from leaking? Just caulk around the outside edge?

A heavy bead of caulk behind it where it meets the brick and a bead around th outside.

Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
what is your email I ahve some pictures of a vent and I wanted to make sure its what I need

I can't get email from you. If you want to show me pics post them here

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

That will work but it's small. I'd go for something similar but bigger, at least 15" x 24"

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok does it need some wire or something behind it to keep insects out or will this vent be ok like it is?I know it is small but I was going to put these in all of my gables that I can so do you think it still might be sufficient?

Size is marginal but better than what you have now. You could add some screening behind it to keep the insects out

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Yea I might end up needing to order what I need online. I wonder if there is somethign out there the size you recommend with the bug screen and stuff already in place?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also just to be sure did you get paid and everything? I couldn't see where it paid you... Want to make sure you get paid.

Screens don't come with aluminum vents, maybe vinyl. Try a local lumber yard for other options before you try mail order.
I got paid when you rated me initially. I don't get any more for these follow ups unless you rate me again or offer a bonus (if that option is still available).

Rick
Rick
Rick, General Contractor