Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

I'm making a concrete countertop for an outdoor fire pit,

Customer Question
Hi, i'm making a...

Hi, i'm making a concrete countertop for an outdoor fire pit, and I

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Im trying to understand what the best type of concrete is to use

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I made one from sakrete 5000 and it cracked a few min after the fire was on

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Im trying to understand hydration and C2s

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Home Improvement
I've referenced https://theconstructor.org/concrete/thermal-cracking-of-concrete-and-prevention/8170/
and http://www.concretecountertopinstitute.com/csa-cements-rapid-strength-with-a-low-carbon-footprint/
and http://civilblog.org/2014/03/05/physical-requirement-for-33-grade-opc-ordinary-portland-cement-is-269/Im interested in using ordinary porland cement with Concentrated Sodium Silicate Concrete Sealer, Hardener and Densifier. BUT, i'm concerned about the strength BECAUSE the countertop has an overhang. It is circular, donut, with a 20" inside diameter and 40" outside diameter, 1.5" thick and the outer half is the cantilevering overhang.Is making the cast as two parts rather than one make it less likely to crack due to the flame induced shrinkage...
What is the best concrete to use? how will rebar, fiberglass, sealer, or anything else you may know make this countertop not crack?
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
im ready for a response, thank you
9/21/2017
Home Improvement Expert: Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor replied 11 months ago
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor

I'm sorry a response had taken unusually longer..... others will pick it up and it is taken for granted sometimes

anyway an important question did you use rebar to re-enforce the slab?...........or ladder wire but that is much more expensive.....then you can add fibers to it also......because the Sakrete should have worked ......please let me know

Thanks

eddie

I hope you have found my answers insightful and to your satisfaction……. please click ACCEPT… this would be the only way I can be compensated in facilitating your inquiry.........a deposit for a subscription was made by you but no payment will be forthcoming to me until I am rated for my assistance…..positive feedback…..5 star replies and bonuses are always welcomed and appreciated

And thank you for your help

eddie