How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask David Bowden Your Own Question
David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor
Category: Home Improvement
Satisfied Customers: 237
Experience:  Owner at Floridaco
Type Your Home Improvement Question Here...
David Bowden is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need exterior door knobs for a gate where they are keyed

This answer was rated:

I need exterior door knobs for a gate where they are keyed on both sides. Levers work too. Looking for a source.

A​re these deadbolts or entry type locks? Usually for a gate they are known as Springlatch type and are available in Kwikset or Schlage. Home Depot/Maintenance Warehouse has them as does any locksmith shop can order them as well as rekey them to existing locks. Keep in mind you may need to special order the latch itself as standard length won't fit most gates, especially if Schlage.

Hello… Thank you for using Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. From the information you’ve provided, I will try to find a quick and simple solution to your specific question. All my responses are designed to be helpful, insightful, and any guidance or suggestions are based from what you have provided on your post above, with the intent of trying to save you time, money, and headaches.

I have found in many cases it has always been better if we can establish an effective way to communicate, since either of us may have additional information or questions, that may be necessary in resolving the problem your experiencing, and uploading clear photos will greatly help us both.

After I have completed my research and provided my response to your question, all I ask in return is that you quickly and favorably complete the 5 Star Rating when it appears, so I may receive full credit for my answer, advice and recommendations. I appreciate your understanding and cooperation of this request.

Please note that I may not be able to resolve this problem, especially if it becomes necessary for a qualified service provider to be contacted to perform additional testing, diagnosing, or troubleshooting.

Is there any additional information you would like to add that was not mentioned before?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Entry type. Can you link me to a set so I know we are on the same page? Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I think I can make one of these work.

They are pretty straightforward once you know what to order, but if you get Schlage keep in mind the latch that is supplied with the lock is too long, you will need a shorter latch.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How about deadbolt?

D​eadbolt has the correct latch with the lockset

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
this would be too long?

Y​ou would need to know the setback on the lockset, usually 2 3/8" but the lock is built differently and may require a shorter latch. Schlage uses a type A or F latch to fit properly. Kwikset locks have spring loaded latches that are correct length. Just depends on what brand you want.

B​oth are rekeyable

Sc​hlage is better constructed for everyday use/abuse but costs more.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will measure tomorrow and get back to you, thanks


Customer: replied 1 month ago.
this is exterior use by the ocean.

Schlage is better around marine environments

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is this the measurement needed to determine the size
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Did you see the picture?

No... That is a standard 2 3/8" opening (setback) for a standard latch. If you buy the Schlage entry type lockset the latch is not in the center of the lock like it is with a Kwikset lockset. The Schlage latch will be like 7/8" usually a type A or F latch. The difference is the Schlage are on the edge of the lock not the center. When you buy the lock it comes with a 1 3/8" latch which is too long.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
You lost me. Can you just tell me what deadbolt style/size to buy for this? That said it occurs to me the 2 3/4 diameter hole where the lock goes will need to be accounted for. Any thoughts on how? I am not a welder!

The deadbolts are standard size, nothing to change or weld on the large hole. What brand lock are you going to buy?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My concern is the hole is too large at 2 3/4 inches to support the lock. Specs say the diameter is only 2.5 inches when I looked up one on Home Depot site. Am I wrong? Schlage

I​t will be close, you can also buy a reducing plate that will help make the lock fit better, 1 per side. The Schlage lockset will need the shorter latch, that's the lock part on the edge of the gate. It will need to be a type A or F series latch 7/8" is the length of the latch.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Want the dead bolt style, same measurement?

Yes deadbolts are 1 size and do not require any special latch

David Bowden and other Home Improvement Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you very much for the positive rating, I sincerely ***** ***** If you need further assistance or help with another question, just let me know,