Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor
Experience:  Has written home improvement articles since 2008. Earned South Carolina Residential Builders License in 1991.
75209918

My son in laws house flooded in Houston. They are telling

My son in laws house flooded in Houston. They are telling him he has to take bricks off house to reinstall a vapor barrier to keep water ( moisture) out
JA: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?
Customer: He flooded for hurricane. Ripped Sheetrock and insulation out with carpet and tile then sprayed mildew preventive. They also have dehumidifiers going
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: The contractor that came by said 70 thousand. They are waiting on FEMA to show up. They did most of demo some friends from work helped
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: They don't have flood insurance
Depending on the age of the house different materials are used for the vapor barrier . This area if left damp can result in mold which could become a major problem.
The corner bracing and any other wood has to be completely dry.
The vapor barrier is not water proof in flood conditions .
It will be damp and have water trapped in and around it
All of that said dont take just one contractors bid or conclusions .
This could be expensive but is too important to leave to chance.
The bricks can be reused but they are expensive to clean.
I am so sorry you are having this trouble . There is no easy fix after a flood but doing as much labor as you can yourself will help.
The wood just may not dry right with the old vapor barrier in place.
Get a second opinion from a proffesional "on site ". Then decide. You do not want to leave anything in place that can cause mold.
Make sure all contractors giving you bids and workingvon the property and house are licensed and insured. Get your bids in writing .