Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

I am trying to sell my house and some potential buyers have

Hi, I am trying to...
Hi, I am trying to sell my house and some potential buyers have complained about creaky floor boards on the stairs.
The house was built in 2000 and the stairs are carpeted.
Is that an expensive job to fix?
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/19/2017
attyadvisor

Welcome and thank you for your question. I will be the professional that will be assisting you.

Which State does your question pertain to? Are the purchasing asking for this under a home inspection contingency?

They decided not to put in an offer because of the creaky floor boards. So I want to fix it associate before the next viewers

Thank you for the clarification. That can be secured and you will want to obtain a few different estimates. Can you tell me what this means?

"So I want to fix it associate before the next viewers"

I think I need a DIY expert not a lawyer

You would to be moved to Home Improvement?

Sorry that was a typo. I want to fix the problem before the next people come to view the house.
please I need home improvement.

Thank you for the clarification I will have the category changed.

Rick
Rick, General Contractor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

If have squeaky stair treads and the treads are carpeted it's not that expensive to fix. Some screws will need to be put into through the treads into the stair stringers to keep the treads from moving/squeaking. This can be done through a small slit in the carpet without damaging the carpet.

Is that better than just lifting the carpet and screwing them down?
Does it need special screws?
Is it something I can do myself or do I really need to get someone in to do it?

You can also lift the carpet but then the carpet will need to be re-installed and that's a lot more work. No special screws needed. We use common 2 1/2" drywall screws. A pro is probably better suited to do this since a carpenter will have a better idea how the stairs were made but you could try it yourself if you like. You only need to slit the carpet slighty larger than the diameter of the screw head. Make sure the screw head gets behind the carpet before you send it home. You want to hit the stringers which are usally dead middle and at the far ends of the threads if the staircase is betwen 2 walls.

Do you have more questions?

Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Thanks

You're welcome

Rick
Rick
Rick, General Contractor