Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

I have a Sentry V260 wall safe that I haven't used for

Customer Question
I have a Sentry...

I have a Sentry V260 wall safe that I haven't used for years.I have forgotten the combo. I have both keys and can access the safe but want to set a new combo. How can I do that?

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?

It's a V260 about 18 years old

Contractor's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

Apart from opening the safe with the keys ( to see that there was noting inside ) I haven't tried anything yet.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Home Improvement
9/18/2017
Home Improvement Expert: David Bowden, General Contractor replied 11 months ago
David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor

Try this...

The Sentry V260 safe has an electronic keypad lock as well as a four-bitted key lock. It is designed to protect valuables in the event of a house fire as well as keep items secure. The electronic keypad lock can be opened using either the factory set access code or the user code that is programmed by the safe's owner. The factory-set access code cannot be changed. The user code can be reset as many times as needed.Difficulty:Moderately EasyInstructions Enter the current user code or the factory access code. Open the safe.
Press the red button on the inside wall of the V260 safe. Wait for the lock to make a beeping sound and the green LED light to come on.
Enter the new five-digit us

Hello… Thank you for using Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today.

From the information you’ve provided, I will try to find a quick and simple solution to your specific question. All my responses are designed to be helpful, insightful, and any guidance or suggestions are based from the information you have provided on your post above, with the intent of trying to save you time, money, and headaches.

I have found in many cases it has always been better if we can establish an effective way to communicate, since either of us may have additional information or questions, that may be necessary in resolving the problem your experiencing, and uploading clear photos will greatly help us both.

After I have completed my research and provided my response to your question, all I ask in return is that you quickly and favorably complete the 5 Star Rating when it appears, so I may receive full credit for my answer, advice and recommendations. I appreciate your understanding and cooperation of this request.

Please note that I may not be able to resolve this problem, especially if it becomes necessary for a qualified service provider to be contacted to perform additional testing, diagnosing, or troubleshooting.

Is there any additional information you would like to add that was not mentioned before?

Hi Dave
I have tried that but it won't accept my new code.The red error light comes on and a buzzer sounds. I have opened the safe with both keys,no problem but I don't have the original factory code and can't remember the last code that was set. Is one or other of this needed before I can set a new code?
Hugh

If you have the owners manual it will have the factory default code inside. If you do not have the manual then you will need to contact Sentry, fill out a form, pay a fee, and submit documentation. They will then send you the code so you can reprogram the safe. The only other option is to contact a Sentry authorized locksmith who can assist you.

Unfortunately these are the options safe owners have, for obvious security reasons. If you need the Sentry contact info let me know.

Try 44718, if that doesn't work you will need to contact Sentry for assistance

https://www.sentrysafe.com/support/product-manuals

Home Improvement Expert: David Bowden, General Contractor replied 10 months ago

G​reetings... just wondering if you found the advise helpful and if you were able to resolve the problem? If not let me know how else I can be of assistance.

Thanks,

dave