Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

Rick, I am still having problems with my pool heater. Since…

Hello again Rick,I am still...
Hello again Rick,I am still having problems with my pool heater. Since we last communicated I had a professional come out and he cleaned the burners and improved the connection of the igniter. He said it was loose.The heater worked for that day and then worked once or twice sporadically after that. But it began alternating between the FL 3 and FL 4. Sometimes flashing both.I had the professional back out and he felt the problem was most likely the power board.I ordered and replaced the power board. I got it to ignite one time and it hasn't worked since.I went step by step through the electrical diagnostics. During the ignition sequence I do not get any gas valve voltage.Since I just replaced the board I am hoping that can be ruled out. I don't see any loose connections. I am also hoping that I don't need to replace the gas valve since I would be getting close to just buying a new heater at that point and hoping I can return the parts I just bought.Any ideas?
9/16/2017
Rick
Rick, General Contractor

I'm sorry but I don't recall your inquiry. What's the brand and model of your unit?

J***** *****te 2
Is it possible for me to send you the original discussion thread?

I found the original thread. If you don't have voltage to the gas valve the gas valve is not the problem. You need to test the connections with a meter. A visual inspection is not adequate. FL3 & FL4 are both igniter errors. You might want to replace the igniter. You wouldn't get power to the gas valve with an igniter fault.

Okay. I have a picture of the igniter I can send. Looks okay. Just some mild oxidation on it. Perhaps I'm wrong (I hope).

You need to check the connections and look for flaws in the igniter. Your pic doesn't show me much. Do not try to clean the igniter. Also wiring diagram shows fuses in the leads to the igniter.

Since you have a new board the igniter (maybe the fuses) is the most likely culprit.

Are they standard fuses that can be replaced or is it some sort of inline fuse. I'm having trouble locating them.The pic is from last weekend so everything isn't that accessible at the moment. I'll take the heater back apart and check back in later if that is okay. Thanks.

All I know is that the wiring diagram shows a fuse in each igniter lead between the board and the igniter. Most likely old glass type automotive fuses.

Okay. Thanks. I'll take another look.

You're welcome

I don't see any fuses in the two white wires connecting the power board to the igniter.

Then your next step is to replace the igniter.

it was replaced last year. It looks okay to me. Could it be that with all the other problems and the faulty board that the amount of times the system tried to fire up that it burnt up some part of the igniter that I can't see?There is some white residue on the igniter that looks like oxidation. Other than that it looks fine. I guess I missed get as well take it out and get a better look.

You're getting 2 igniter errors. So it's either the board or the igniter. There are no other possibilities

After replacing the board I now only get the FL 4 error.Is it possible that I fried the board somehow when I installed it? My original board had the power conversion plug built into it. The replacement didn't have it so that was orders after the board was installed.

no way I can know that

Rick
Rick, General Contractor
I received a new igniter last night. I'll install it on Saturday morning and let you know how I made out. When I was disconnected the wires to remove the burners I noticed that both connections to the gas valve had rusty leads. I don't believe that is the problem though. If igniter doesn't do the trick I'll replace them, but after that I don't know what else can be done.
After that replacing igniter the heater fired right up. Thank you.

You're welcome