Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

Our garage doors will not close unless we continue to hold…

Customer Question
Our garage doors will...

Our garage doors will not close unless we continue to hold the button down and has and error message regarding the sensors. I have brushed off the sensors. What else can I try?

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of the appliance? And has it done this before?

Not sure. It says security 2.0 and P3 motors plus on it. It has done this before, but will usually work after I clean it off. Could it be water damage?

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If I'm able.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I live in Houston and the sensors may have been in sitting water....can't tell if water was that high. They will open, but won't shut without holding the button down the whole time in the garage.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Home Improvement
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/14/2017
Home Improvement Expert: Machinc, General Contractor replied 11 months ago
Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor
Its a very good chance your sensors are the problem .
Here are dome things you can check .
Be right back
1. Obstructions in front if the sensors.
2: wiring to the sensors should be checked for damage or loose connections.
3: sensors properly aligned to each other.
4: circuit board. if all of tnese are
ok the circuit board is often the problem.
In your case , and you said you cleaned the sensors after the flood they are the most likely problem.'Holding the button down overides the sensors . Another sign they are the problem.
Replacing the sensors should be done by replacing both with a new pair. This should clear up your trouble .
If it does not the circuit board would be the next thing to be replaced. They can be damaged by power surges .
Its more likely your sensors .