David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor
Experience:  Owner at Floridaco
99480491

Can if cable with water-tite connectors be used under wooden

Can if cable with water-tite connectors be used under wooden decks to supply surface mounted lighting (120VAC/15PS)?

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Yes you can run water tite flex with water tite connectors or PVC conduit under a deck for exterior lighting.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I was referring to out door UF cable, suitable for direct burial and sun exposure (tree lighting) etc. would that work?

U​F Cable is approved under decks, similar to Romex in attics. All fittings and terminations should have the approved NEC methods and ground when possible. You might consider installing plastic boxes near the fixtures so the UF cable can feed the boxes, then make pigtails, similar to garbage disposal cords with the secured fittings.

Hello… Thank you for using Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today.

From the information you’ve provided, I will try to find a quick and simple solution to your specific question. All my responses are designed to be helpful, insightful, and any guidance or suggestions are based from the information you have provided on your post above, with the intent of trying to save you time, money, and headaches.

I have found in many cases it has always been better if we can establish an effective way to communicate, since either of us may have additional information or questions, that may be necessary in resolving the problem your experiencing, and uploading clear photos will greatly help us both.

After I have completed my research and provided my response to your question, all I ask in return is that you quickly and favorably complete the 5 Star Rating when it appears, so I may receive full credit for my answer, advice and recommendations. I appreciate your understanding and cooperation of this request.

Please note that I may not be able to resolve this problem, especially if it becomes necessary for a qualified service provider to be contacted to perform additional testing, diagnosing, or troubleshooting.

Is there any additional information you would like to add that was not mentioned before?

If you think rodents, insects, etc will chew the cable, then consider installing in conduit, even if the UF is sleeved inside PVC approved for electrical

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No, the question is pretty straight forward, "can UF cable be used under a wooden deck, as one would use NM cable indoors, with water-tite connections .

Y​es first part of my answer was ok to use UF under the deck. I was just adding more information if you needed it. I have done a lot of deck work and the one thing I try to do is make sure all connections are placed as high and dry under the deck as possible.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I only intend on using UF to whip from one exterior box to the other for perimeter pagoda lighting. The fixture stem (1/2" aluminum conduit) will enter box from above; the UF will daisy chain from one location to the next, drilling through the joists at perimeter.

S​ounds like you have the right ideas and methods. One other thought to consider when pulling UF since it is had to work with, is to use 14/3 or 12/3 instead of 14/2 or 12/2. reason being if something ever goes wrong, there is already an extra wire which will save troubleshooting and pulling new wires.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
MY QUESTION IS WHETHER THIS IS "OKAY",. MEANING LEGAL TO DO. I SEE NO REAL ANSWER IN THE N.E.C. ?

The NEC is a national code level with information and tables, it is also an approved guideline that each state and city usually refers and complies with, unless the state or city has additional requirements that is above the minimums of the NEC. Installing UF cable is approved as far as NEC is concerned, however it may not be "approved" as far as the city is concerned.

If you are getting permits, ask the city if they will allow it or if it needs to be in an approved raceway, if no permit then it is your decision to install it. Will it work, yes, is it safe, yes. Just make sure to install it in a manner that no one is going to get hurt or it will start a fire. This is making sure all connections are done properly and you have the correct size wiring and over current protection.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The area I'm working in follows the NEC, so I should be good, correct?
Correct
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you
No problem if you would like to discuss more let me know. Best, Dave
David Bowden, General Contractor
Experience: Owner at Floridaco