Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Experience:  owner of Island Pro-Craft
90350505

The lights in my liftmaster model 8559-267, do not work

Customer Question

the lights in my liftmaster model 8559-267, do not work anymore. problem happened after severe lightning storm
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: since the storm, about 6 months
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: everything else works fine. I suspect ckt bd problem because had same thing happen with LG dishwasher
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your LG is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: i have since repaired the LG dishwasher by replacing control circuit board
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Eddie replied 1 month ago.

it could be a couple of things and hopefully it isn't a bad part of the circuit board that may have been damaged with all the fluxes or power surges............but we will start off with something simple..........

it could be that the bulbs are not making good contact now so what I would like you to start off with that ..............shut off the breaker.....remove the bulbs.....then take a pencil eraser or a emery file and go over a few times the socket tab..........then take a Q-tip with alcohol and go over the bottom of the socket if it has any corrosion......then very gently with your index finger pull up that tab just a little bit so it will make contact.....put the bulbs back ........turn on the power and test..........you should only be using 60 watt bulbs ...........please let me know how that went ............if it didn't we can replace the sockets easily also

Thanks

eddie

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
did as you suggested - no change. Also, correction on Liftmaster Model No: 8550-267.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Phone con, not at this time. I prefer the chat version until or unless it gets too complicated.
Expert:  Eddie replied 1 month ago.

there are 2 sockets?.................do you have a 2 prong tester or multi-meter to see if you are getting power to them before we change them out

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I do have a multi-meter...
Expert:  Eddie replied 1 month ago.

can you test it then?................maybe we will get something

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will test electrical supply to each socket while I press the button and get back to you...
Expert:  Eddie replied 1 month ago.

one prong on the tab the other on the metal screw in part........if you see the wire before the socket you can peel away a little of the insulation with a knife or razor to bare the wire just a LITTLE and put the prongs on those

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Checked as you suggested - no power at either of 2 sockets. Cannot access wiring behind sockets. Wires are inside molded socket which attaches to wall of unit.
Expert:  Eddie replied 1 month ago.

there should be 4 screws that attach the back panel to the unit ................once removed if should expose the wiring ..............let me know if you see them and if you could upload a couple of photos it would help out considerably

How to send a photo or file instructions

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

Thanks

eddie

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok, it wil take me several minutes and I will send a couple of pics.
Expert:  Eddie replied 1 month ago.

great .........thanks...............take your time

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
here are 2 photos with cover removed. Let me know if you need more. Also let me know if they are too big.
Expert:  Eddie replied 1 month ago.

I don't see where the sockets are in the pics.......if you can back the camera away some..........anyway now you can see where the lead wire is to test it ........and how easy it would be to change them once we get the right part from Chamberlain.........but we have to see if they are the problem and not the logic board...............do you happen to notice any char marks on the board?........any blackness inside the sockets?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will check and get back to you...
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I checked and could find no char marks or blackness on the circuit board and I also checked again in the sockets themselves. I can't see any evidence of burnt components or burn marks on the circuit board. The orange and white wires at the bottom of the pic with the circuit board are connected to the bulb socket spade connectors.
Expert:  Eddie replied 1 month ago.

okay so we need to test the orange and white wires ............I have to be away for a little bit but I will check back as soon as I can

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
can you give me an idea how long?
Expert:  Eddie replied 1 month ago.

well once you test ......you'll have to order new sockets if they are in fact the problem...........if not its the board and you'll have to make a decision there..........either way we have time ........but I plan to be back maybe 2 hours

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I checked the orange and white wires for voltage after reconnecting all wires - still no voltage. Do i need to buy a new circuit board?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm sorry, I'm an elderly man and I need to quit working for today. I reconnected all wires as originally installed. I will probably call a repair man to fix this problem. Thank you for your assistance.
Expert:  Eddie replied 1 month ago.

it's probably going to run from 90.-120..........a new opener starts at 150...........I don't think yours is that old though.....and it is functioning with everything else...........can you do without the lights or as an alternative you can have an independent motion sensing pointed at the door......plugged in right by the opener on the ceiling

one last ditch effort if we could

ERASE THE TRANSMITTERS:

hold down the LEARN button on the opener for 6 or 7 seconds….If you have a MY-Q device …immediately press and hold the LEARN button again until the learn LED goes out. All codes are now erased.

HARD RESET:

unplug the opener what should be for a good minute......in the meantime remove the batteries from the transmitters including the key less.....and if you have a battery back-up.....there is no battery in the wall transmitter…..plug back in the opener and replace the batteries which should be fresh

Do you know how to re program the transmitters? Hold them with-in 16 inches of the opener when you do

these things are quirky sometimes so you never know

Expert:  Eddie replied 1 month ago.

sure let me know when you feel up to it again ..I'll be here for you