Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Experience:  owner of Island Pro-Craft
90350505

I had a Lift Master installed about a year ago. I parked

Customer Question

Hi, I had a Lift Master installed about a year ago. I parked outside for a while and now have decided to park inside my garage, so my universal remote has lost its code. I had two friends try to get it to reprogram, but it won't. I have another Lift Master on my second garage door and they could program that same remote to open the other door. It seems that there is a problem with programming on the new Lift Master. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: Well, I had not used the remote for at least 6 months and just had it in a drawer in the kitchen. When I decided to start parking in the garage again, I got it out and it wouldn't open the door and can't be reprogrammed.
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: I'm not talking about the car, just the remote to the garage door opener.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Not if it's beyond my ability. I'm a retired woman and know very little. I have reprogrammed remotes in the past by following instructions though.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Eddie replied 1 month ago.

Hi ........it could be that the remotes are getting confused or too many ..............what you could start by doing and hopefully this will all be a simple fix.........first the remote laying around may not be making good contact now .......so take out the batteries and claen any corrosion with an alcohol swab and thenuse a nail file or a pencil eraser and go over those contacts.......replace with new batteries while you are doing this to both openers..........

ERASE THE TRANSMITTERS:

hold down the LEARN button on the openers for 6 or 7 seconds….If you have a MY-Q device …immediately press and hold the LEARN button again until the learn LED goes out. All codes are now erased.

HARD RESET:

unplug the openers what should be for a good minute......in the meantime remove the batteries from the transmitters including the key less.....and if you have a battery back-up.....there is no battery in the wall transmitter…..plug back in the openers and replace the batteries which should be fresh

Do you know how to re program the transmitters? Hold them with-in 16 inches of the opener when you do

I am always checking back to keep things moving and expedited…..Please let me know how it goes

And thank you for your help and assistance

eddie