Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor
Experience:  Has written home improvement articles since 2008. Earned South Carolina Residential Builders License in 1991.
75209918

I have made a BIG mistake HELP! I Have made frames out of

Customer Question

I have made a BIG mistake HELP! I Have made frames out of cherry wood, which is being clear coated with clear polyurethane. I used Loctite PL 375 construction adhesive at the minor joints , now I have a white line that the minor joint ,dumb, dumb, dumb, what can I do to not see the line? I have used a cherry stain pin, but the line shows through .
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: I just built the frames. Now I'm cleaning the excess adhesive from the minor joints. I'm about a week into the project.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Not that I know of.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Machinc replied 1 month ago.
This is something I have done many times. You can use artists acrylic paint ( from the art store.')
It is water base . mix to match the frame the colors . Red ,brown, black.
Make sure the frame is clean and dry .
Expert:  Machinc replied 1 month ago.
Paint the white line using a small brush . Allow to completely dry and apply another coat of the acrylic artist paint if necessary.
Expert:  Machinc replied 1 month ago.
When the Acrylic artists paint dries (overnight is best) you can go right over it with the polyurethane .
Expert:  Machinc replied 1 month ago.
Since it is a straight line in the joint the color does not have to be perfect. Once you have covered the white with one coat you can
experiment with mixing the color more perfect if desired.
The acrylic covers well and is totally compatible with the poly.
If you have already finished the polyurethane just put a light coat over the acrylic line and repeat with another coat of poly on the line if necessary.
Expert:  Machinc replied 1 month ago.
As you have already found out stains and pens will not work but the acrylic artists paint will.
I have used it on everything from knotholes filled with caulk and large gaps that people have filled with caulk. This will work . Be patient . Any acrylic that gets beyond the line can be wiped off with a damp paper towel while it is still wet.
Expert:  Machinc replied 1 month ago.
The floor plywood needs to be 3/4 " . Perhaps one bid is to bring the floor to that specification if it is not by using a cement board
like the brand "Duroc". This needs to be both verified and clarified.
Expert:  Machinc replied 1 month ago.
Sorry the above paragraph 1:47 was posted in error . Please disregard.