Brian
Brian, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP
6457309

I have an existing 23 X 14 garage with a 4/12 gable roof. I

Customer Question

I have an existing 23 X 14 garage with a 4/12 gable roof. I want to sister up a 23 X 16 screen house (parallel) making the one garage wall a common wall. I want to know how I can join the roof lines.
JA: Have you talked to a roofing professional yet?
Customer: I am doing the work
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: the screen house will sit on a 30" raised deck.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Your best option is to offset the roof lines so the new roof is either at least 12" above of below the existing roof.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Because the screen house will be elevated 30"s That would be the choice for the higher roof,are you able to show me a concept drawing?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 month ago.

A drawing is not available. You just frame a knee wall to accomodate (fill in) the height difference. Since there is no load on this knee wall you can attach it to the existing gable with angle bracket supporting the framing or frame a partition down to the slab. You will have to step flash the (I assume) aspahlt roofing shingles on the existing roof onto the knee wall before you side the kne wall.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am sorry the existing garage roof is a hip.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 month ago.

Then you have to reframe the side adjoining the additon so it's a gable

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ugh, I really need drawings to visualize. Any suggestions?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have to leave now, will be back in a couple of hours.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 month ago.

Consult a designer or a structural engineer to draw up plans if you need working plans. Basically you extend the ridge to meet the additon's knee wall then fill in the rafters.