Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

I'm installing garage door sensors on an old sears 1/2 hp…

I'm installing garage door...

I'm installing garage door sensors on an old sears 1/2 hp garage opener. Sears gave me the part number. The lights on the sensors come on but only when the garage door is down. I can lift the door and then close it and the sensors do not appear to be working.

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Today

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Don't think so

9/12/2017
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor

Hi ..........how old is the opener?............when you purchased the sensors did you make sure they are compatible with your make and model? that is real important............does it even have terminals for sensors on the unit to plug into...........and when you do plug them in they have to be steady on or something isn't right........please let me know

Thanks

eddie

It is a 1995 model. I called sears and they gave me the part number to find even though sears doesn't sell them anymore. The model # is 139.53635SRT1 and the part number they gave me is 41A4373A. The opener has 4 terminals on the back. The two left are for the garage door opener and the two right should be (I'm thinking) for the sensors. The lights do come on when the door is closed. Once you open it they immediately go off. I can break the plane while it's going down but the door keeps going.

yeah....sorry to be the bearer of bad news but it really doesn't sound like it was made for the sensors.....it was around that time that sensors came in............and probably they didn't get the bugs out of them for functioning properly

if I may........

before you spend money replacing major parts……..if I can make you aware that you have another option and that is to upgrade your opener ……and consider replacing it………..here is why........ you are telling me about your opener that it is acting very erratically and has now become corrupted.....it could very well be that through the years with all the power fluxes and surges it fried the logic board.........it is acting very erratically .....it could very well be that through the years with all the power fluxes and surges it fried the logic board..........a garage door opener has a life expectancy of 10 -12 years Being that your door opener is a bit antiquated it is very likely to soon fail you at the most inopportune time say inclement weather……. thus locking you either out of your garage. Or even worse yet if you need to get into your garage fast… due to security issues.

Unless your opener has been modified at some point after its original installation ……….. it may have altered or no safety sensors

New… safe….quiet… user friendly and the best part ……self-diagnosing….. openers these days start about $150.00

it is the perfect weekend project where you can save on labor on the install

the tracks the garage door are okay to keep unless you see signs that the rollers are wearing in which case they can be replaced.

Overall consensus is the Chamberlain Liftmaster/Craftsman brand openers are the most reliable on the market today……. they seem to last a bit longer than other brands before they start to malfunction and are easy and inexpensive to repair ………without having to purchase a new opener unit. I recommend these brands to my clients because of their reliability……… a new Chamberlain Liftmaster/Craftsman opener that is properly installed should last 10-12 years before any problems occur…….and that the tracks are maintained....I hope this held some content for you so you can arrive at a discernible solution

Thanks

eddie

I figured you were g poo I'm to say that but I wanted to make sure. Thanks for your help!
Figured you were going to say that* thank you

just trying to be prudent and practical............you sound handy so it could save you some pesos too

I hope you found my answers to your questions helpful and insightful and would consider a positive rating so I can receive credit for my help. I'm proud of the work I do here and the positive ratings given by clients like you!

Thanks

eddie

Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
I did. I will certainly give you a good rating. Thanks for the help

Thank you for the positive rating............ I trust you were able to make an informed decision or better yet your problem was resolved......or will be......if you need anything else home improvement wise....... construction…….decorating...... or any kind of repairs etc....... please look for me ......it has been a pleasure

Customer/p>