Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Experience:  owner of Island Pro-Craft
90350505

I had to remove the PVC drain lines for my double sink in

I had to remove the PVC drain lines for my double sink in the kitchen, to try to augur out a partial blockage down the line.
After I reconnected the line to the little sink trap to the PVC outlet line, it dripped a little when water was running, despite tightening. I disconnected it and wrapped the 'male' connector on the trap with plumber's 'tape' and tried again, but with the same result. I think that it needs some 'goop' in the space below the threads in the male connector at trap. But it has to be something that can stand hot water and won't somehow interfere with disconnecting from the outlet. I have some pipe joint compound, but that is only for metal. I also have some plumber's putty, but it doesn't say that it will work for plastic. Should I use plumber's putty, or should I get and use a tub and tile caulk?

My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

I'd spend $15 at Home Depot and replace the tubular piping under the sink and use new gaskets/washers

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That will take considerable work to replace all of the PVC there, Wade. It's a double sink, with a connecting line from the adjacent dishwasher The leak is very slight: only an occasional drip when the outlet is backed up. And it's not easy for an 80-year-old to get at it. Isn't there some type of 'gook' that one can apply to stop that?

Can you post a pic of the specific source? Is there a washer there? If so swap it out with a new one

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There is no washer, Wade, and wasn't when I first took the thing apart. I've attached a photo, which may show the underlying problem. There is a visible gap just below the threaded connector on the sink trap. That's why I wonder if some type of goop placed inside that connector, below the threads, might work.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
what about using some strong chemical such as Drano Foamer to attack the sludge? The box containing it says that it is safe for septic. But are chemicals such as these OK for the pipes, especially for a house that is 61 years old?

Hi ...........what is happening there is that fitting is going the wrong way that tightening ring is upside down .........meaning the pipe that goes off into the sewer or septic should have an elbow that the ring screws DOWN into the P trap not that the P trap fitting screws up into the elbow that leads out ......please let me know if something was altered or that is always thee way it has been...............you can put pipe dope on PVC

Thanks

eddie

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Very interesting, Eddie. The tightening ring is (in your words) upside down not only for my kitchen sinks, but in one of my bathrooms as well. Both of these use PVC, and were done about 24 years ago. The tightening ring in my other bathroom was done the other way, with the tightening ring located in the exit pipe, and tightening down at the top of the sink trap. Only one of these three sink traps leaks: the one in the kitchen. Thanks for your info, but I'll try to stop that leak by using pipe dope below the (PVC) connecting ring that leaks. If that doesn't work, I'll replace all of the pipes, and do it right. BTW, what about using some strong chemical such as Drano Foamer to attack the sludge located about 12 feet from the leak? The box containing that product says that it is safe for septic. But are chemicals such as these OK for the pipes, especially for a house that is 61 years old?

Hi Erik......to be honest all you have to do is change the exit pipe elbow and the P trap but if you wanted to Band-aid it for now ...make a worm out of plumbers putty and stick it good all around the inside part of the tightening ring and press it in .....but a drip will most likely find its way down again eventually

I never have any faith in Drano......you would be better off with a snake if you were to change out that fitting ..........it isn't to say that the chemical wouldn't work so you have nothing to lose ..........the pipes should be fine

I hope you found my answers to your questions helpful and insightful and would consider a positive rating so I can receive credit for my help. I'm proud of the work I do here and the positive ratings given by clients like you!

Thanks

eddie

Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Experience: owner of Island Pro-Craft
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks, Eddie. Your answers were helpful and insightful, and I'll give you a five-star rating.
Best,Erik

Thank you for the positive rating............ I trust you were able to make an informed decision or better yet your problem was resolved......or will be......if you need anything else home improvement wise....... construction…….decorating...... or any kind of repairs etc....... please look for me ......it has been a pleasure

Customer/p>