Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Experience:  owner of Island Pro-Craft
90350505

I replaced the gears in my opener but when I tested it I

Customer Question

I replaced the gears in my opener but when I tested it I only got 2 foot travel back and forth. Do I need a new limit switch or do I need to confirm that I pressed the bearings on the motor shaft fully?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: Only a day. The door closer had a bad top sprocket bearing which I replaced using a gear kit. Now my wife is really impressed that the door won't work. Help
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: How should I address the problem of travel being only back and forth of 2 feet.?
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: What do I need to do to get full travel?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Eddie replied 1 month ago.

Hi what has to be done anytime work is done on the drive is the limits have to be set and force adjustments..........if you can get me the info we can get you up and running again............

1-) The make and model and/or number of the unit in question and do you have the manual for it?

2-) how old it might be and if you are the original owner

3-) there are 2 safety sensors on your door do both have either an amber, or green light that is on steady and not flickering?

4-) can you tell me if you have a working wall control and how many working remotes

5-) any flashing LED lights on the opener (ceiling unit) and how many times it blinks before pausing? The color of the learn button is?

6-) are you using only the equipment that came with this opener?

7-) do you have a chain......belt......or screw drive?

8-) what exactly happens when you do click the transmitter?....... the door doesn't move but you hear the motor?......it goes partial way?........reverses?

Thamks

eddie

Expert:  Eddie replied 1 month ago.

I hope you found my answers to your questions helpful and insightful and would consider a positive rating so I can receive credit for my help. I'm proud of the work I do here and the positive ratings given by clients like you!

Thanks

eddie