Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

My chimney is separating from the house. we just had the…

Customer Question
My chimney is separating...

My chimney is separating from the house. we just had the foundation shored up under the chimney but there is a gap between the chimney and the roof and side of the house

Contractor's Assistant: Have you talked to a roofing professional yet?

Not yet

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The professional that did the work on the foundation told us that the chimney was separating from the house was due to the earth below the chimney was settling. now that has been shored up, I thought the chimney would move back into place. that isn't the case so I don't want the winter weather to do further damage between the chimney and the house.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Home Improvement
9/11/2017
Home Improvement Expert: Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor replied 9 months ago
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor

Hi ...............how much of a gap do you have?.............and If you could upload a couple of photos it would help out considerably

How to send a photo or file instructions

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

Thanks

eddie

I do not have the capability to send pictures. the gap is app. 3-4 inches at its widest. apparently birds have been nesting between the chimney and the wall of the house. I have had people come to look at it and one of them wanted to tear the chimney and rebuild it for $12,000.00. we never use the fireplace but I don't want the thing to fall down,either

and there is a gap on the roof too?...........isn't it being used for the furnace?

the gap is from the roof to the base of the chimney, that is the wider part of the base of the chimney. the chimney is not used for the furnace.
I think this is too complicated for me to explain to you and I think if I was able to send pictures. I appreciate your time and I will contact you again when I can give pictures. I am signing off now. I am not expecting a refund.

well here are your options.......you can have it removed and the siding redone.........replaced but at 12,000 that is a huge nut to crack...............or you can have it foam filled and pointed with cement, which may be very unsightly ...........but may have the best cost effect...........it won't be an easy decision..............if you have more questions please let me help