Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

I just had a new roof put on my home. I was looking at the

Customer Question
dormer and see that there...
I just had a new roof put on my home. I was looking at the dormer and see that there are some sections that do not have j channel where the siding meets the roof.The roofer will return next week because I found that a piece of flashing on my chimney is coming loose. What do I tell the roofing general contractor about the J channel issue? It looks like they saved pieces and put them back on, but just left the pieces that may have broke. I think this is an issue and the roof could leak.
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Home Improvement
9/11/2017
Home Improvement Expert: Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor replied 2 months ago
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor

The J channel has to be in along with the step flashing for roofing.......it is essential for added protection and makes for a nice job besides........what reason did he say for not putting it?........believe it or not it can still be slid in............hopefully he left some play for expansion...............please let me know

Thanks

eddie

I don't know what they did. I'm not home now. I can send a picture this evening. I see two areas that have no j channel. I have leftover siding from 20 years ago when the 2nd floor addition was put on. It tooks some research on my part to figure out that the name of the piece is J channel. The roofer is a subcontractor and the general roofing company was a bit dicey. I had to fight with him to get a building permit, and he wanted extra money for materials. It has been a headache to deal with the company, the contractor told me he was broke and needed additional materials money from me so I had him sign a second contract under his own name vs his LLC company name. (he is a friend of the family and I know it was a mistake to hire him) I plan to sell the house, but I don't want the roof to leak and I think an inspector will notice the J channel is missing.

you are absolutely right in your thinking............the guy says he is broke too???........geez.......make sure he does what you want or just hold back final payment if you can........tell him to stop making excuses........no need for a picture I am sure you explained the J channel well ..............if worse comes to worst if you have extra materials you can probably do it yourself I can tell you how

The job was done last month. He has been paid. He said he will come this week to correct the flashing. I will lay out my expectation and if he doesn't do it I'll take him to small claims court. His LLC won't matter because he signed the revised contract where I stated the reason for the new contract is because the LLC company is insolvent and he signed it.
I can't do it myself. I'm a older woman. I don't want to get up on the roof. I'd have to hire someone to do it.

good that should cover you .............just make sure of any other issues......be sure to get them in all at once............is there anything else you need to ask me of these concerns?

Do you think I should get an estimate from another company on repairs for shoddy work?

an additional cost for you ......sorry it has to be this way.............do you know what materials he used?..............would it be okay if you can send me the contracts so I can look over them for you ?...........does it say if he used ice dam protection.......and valley flashing?

let me look over things first and maybe get me a bunch of photos as to where I can help if I can before any other costs you have to incur

The documents are on my home computer. I'll send them this evening with pictures. Thanks for your help. I figured I need some advice before I talk to the contactor.

sounds good I am looking forward to it ..........if I may ask your name too ........we have dealt with each other in the past and you have always been so gracious

I hope you found my answers to your questions helpful and insightful and would consider a positive rating so I can receive credit for my help. I'm proud of the work I do here and the positive ratings given by clients like you!

Thanks

eddie

This is the materials list attached.
My name is Carol. Thanks for your help, Eddie.I can't upload the contract. Here is the verbiage:For valuable consideration, the parties agree as follows:
1.<Contractor Name> to fulfill the contract for <CompanyName> written on 7/19/2017 for roof tear off and instal synthetic felt, Ice guard, drip edg, pipe flashing and lifetime dimensional shingles (Pinnacle H/D Lifetime brand - color Pristine Hearthstone) for home, back porch and garage on 8/5/2017. The <CompanyName> contract is amended due to the company's temporary insolvency and inability to purchase the Olmsted Falls building permit and deck materials.
Original Terms from 7/19/2017
Base Price $6,000
Total Cost $6,000
Deposit $3,000
Balance Due $3,000
Lou requested an additional deposit to cover the building permit and deck material.
08/05/2017 Terms
Base Price $6,000
Total Cost $6,000
Deposit $3,500
Balance Due $2,5002. No modification of this Contract will be effective
unless it is in writing and is signed by both parties. This
Contract binds and benefits both parties and any successors.
Time is of the essence of this contract. This document,
including any attachments, is the entire agreement between
the parties. This Contract is governed by the laws of the State of Ohio
The parties have signed this Contract on the date specified at the beginning of this Contract.

Hi Carol...............the material list seems to be in order for the proper job........provided he used it to specifications..........the dormer siding was done neatly but I would still have him put the J channel on because in addition you can tell him strong gusts of wind will not blow pieces of the siding off ........the channel will stabilize it....NOT on the front just the sides.......and have him put an elbow on the bottom of the leader so that the deluge will not be coming down all in a critical area by that corner of the dormer............an elbow will lead it away more........that gutter needs to be nailed in better or screw clips put on..........if he said he would fix it for you I can't see anything else that may be awry......in my humble opinion it doesn't seem cause for an escalation or ligated.............I would like to see more pics if it wouldn't be too much trouble .............I just want to see the overall.............maybe they can be taken from the same vantage point.......just different views or angles.............again if it is not too much trouble

Thank you Carol

eddie

the siding as already coming off at the very top ............the gutters need some work too

I see the siding comming off at the top. Will the j channel fix that? I can go to Lowes and pick up some j channel tonight so he has it tomorrow, when he comes to fix the chimmney and the j channel. The guy is cheap and would want to charge me for supplies, even if its a $5 part. What product is used to act as an elbow? "have him put an elbow on the bottom of the leader so that the deluge will not be coming down all in a critical area by that corner of the dormer"I know I need gutters. The roof was terrible so I got that fixed first.

yes the J channel will hold it in place better.....Lowe's will have it ...that piece just needs to be snapped back in place first

the saying goes material is cheap.......labor is expensive.....so supply him and make him do what you want done

Lowe's will have this too......https://www.lowes.com/pd/Amerimax-4-1875-in-White-Aluminum-Side-Elbow/3709930

Morning Carol........I hope you found my answers to your questions helpful and insightful and would consider a positive rating so I can receive credit for my help. I'm proud of the work I do here and the positive ratings given by clients like you!

Thanks

eddie

Eddie
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor