Brian
Brian, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP
6457309

We are replacing carpet with hardwood flooring. currently

Customer Question

we are replacing carpet with hardwood flooring. currently there is ceramic in front of our fireplace but some tiles are cracked. the floor installer recommends taking out the ceramic and replacing with the hardwood. we don't use the fireplace but we may want to sell the house in the near future and we don't want a home inspector saying that this causes fire hazard.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Home Improvement
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
here is pic of fireplace with current ceramic. admittedly they're old but we usually have a firescreen in front
Expert:  Rick replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

A hearth space 2' out from the fireplace and the width of the fireplace must be non-flammble material. So you can't just run hardwood up to the fireplace.