Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Experience:  owner of Island Pro-Craft
90350505

I have an old 1/2 HP Master Mechanic garage door opener. I

Customer Question

i have an old 1/2 HP Master Mechanic garage door opener. I would guess 20-30 years old. it does not have laser sensors. I opens with no issues, it just seems to not want to close unless i hold the button the entire way until it touches the floor. Do you have an fix for this ?
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of the appliance? And has it done this before?
Customer: Sears - Master Mechanic
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes it has been doing this for some time. Yes i plan to fix it myself
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Eddie replied 1 month ago.

Hi...........just a few more minutes I wll be reviewing your inquiry and get back with you

Expert:  Eddie replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I have to point this out to you .........If I may ……… that before you spend money replacing major parts……..if I can make you aware that you have another option and that is to upgrade your opener ……and consider replacing it………..here is why........your opener has now become corrupted and is acting very erratically .....it could very well be that through the years with all the power fluxes and surges it fried the logic board..........I hate to be the bearer of bad news but a garage door opener has a life expectancy of 10 -12 years Being that your door opener is a bit antiquated it is very likely to soon fail you at the most inopportune time say inclement weather……. thus locking you either out of your garage. Or even worse yet if you need to get into your garage fast… due to security issues.

-Unless your opener has been modified at some point after its original installation ……….. it may have altered or no safety sensors (infrared beams) to make it stop and then reverse on its way down if something such as an animal or small child or your car etc……….. gets in the way of the closing door. This by itself makes it dangerous and even illegal according to current building code. It is just not safe.

-New… safe….quiet… user friendly and the best part ……self-diagnosing….. openers these days start about $150.00

- it is the perfect weekend project where you can save on labor on the install

-the tracks the garage door are okay to keep unless you see signs that the rollers are wearing in which case they can be replaced.

Overall consensus is the Chamberlain Liftmaster/Craftsman brand openers are the most reliable on the market today……. they seem to last a bit longer than other brands before they start to malfunction and are easy and inexpensive to repair ………without having to purchase a new opener unit. I recommend these brands to my clients because of their reliability……… a new Chamberlain Liftmaster/Craftsman opener that is properly installed should last 10-12 years before any problems occur…….and that the tracks are maintained....I hope this held some content for you so you can arrive at a discernible solution

Thanks

eddie

Expert:  Eddie replied 1 month ago.

I hope you found my answers to your questions helpful and insightful and would consider a positive rating so I can receive credit for my help. I'm proud of the work I do here and the positive ratings given by clients like you!

Thanks

eddie

Expert:  Eddie replied 1 month ago.

If you have any additional questions so that I can receive credit or any concerns, construction.......decorating....... any kind of repairs, etc I will be here for you

thank you

eddie