Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Experience:  owner of Island Pro-Craft
90350505

I am purchasing a home with an in ground pool and spa. The

I am purchasing a home with an in ground pool and spa. The pool is on the smaller size. I have never had a pool before, so I have a few questions.Can I learn how to maintain the pool myself or is it too complicated?Would it be best to hire someone to come out once a week to maintain it? If so about how much will that cost?How, and where can I learn to maintain the pool myself if that is what I decide to do?Should I have pool inspected by an expert or will a basic home inspector be educated enough to do a thorough inspection to make sure it is in good condition before I buy it? I am having a home inspection done before purchase.What is the best strategy (economically) to keep the pool warm enough to use it year round? I am in Southern California.About how much will the pool cost to operate per month (just a guess would be great)?I have more questions, but I will submit them another time....thank you in advance.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
adding a photo

Can I learn how to maintain the pool myself or is it too complicated?
it isn't that hard at all it becomes second nature after a few weeks the main things are to backwash the filter daily....keep it clean with a vacuum..the robots are great for that (much less for you to do) and keep up with the chemical levels .............chlorine and PH .....daily......I don't believe there is any shock opening (for instance removal of the cover ......chlorination and cleaning) to do since CA maintains a steady seasonal weather
Would it be best to hire someone to come out once a week to maintain it? If so about how much will that cost?
if you wanted to at first..........but if the pool is clear now there really isn't a reason to
How, and where can I learn to maintain the pool myself if that is what I decide to do?
right here or on the internet once you get how many gallons it is and what type of filtration system.....and the filter and model .....it could be a salt ............you can follow up questions with me and my suggestion is to make a file on your computer with dates and what you have done so you will remember the next time
Should I have pool inspected by an expert or will a basic home inspector be educated enough to do a thorough inspection to make sure it is in good condition before I buy it? I am having a home inspection done before purchase.
maybe it would be best to have a pool guy come over to see about the filter and pump and the integrity of the walls and the spa
What is the best strategy (economically) to keep the pool warm enough to use it year round? I am in Southern California.
if it doesn't have a heater already ........a solar one and a solar blanket for savings
About how much will the pool cost to operate per month (just a guess would be great)?

I live in NY so I would only be speculating but you need chemicals......energy consumption costs

I did find this for you and it has a free guide to maintaining a pool

https://www.inyopools.com/Blog/how-much-does-my-pool-pump-cost-to-run/

I hope you found my answers to your questions helpful and insightful and would consider a positive rating so I can receive credit for my help. I'm proud of the work I do here and the positive ratings given by clients like you!

Thanks

eddie

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thanks for your reply, but could you please answer the question about approximate monthly cost....your best guess would be fine....$50? $200? $10??? Also, how would I find out the information about the pool, like the gallons, salt, etc....the owner isn't much help.
Also one day when I was there looking at the house the pool was green. should I be concerned??
thank you!

I can't possibly do that from my vantage point ..............if you get me info for the gallons.......in which you would call the manufacturer or who installed the pool get them the size and depth they can get you that ......and you would have to look at the pool filter manufacturer and model to see what filtration system it is and if you do have a heating unit..........I can help you there but you will have to do the energy consumption that is why I sent you the site

Thanks

eddie

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
what about the pool being green?

it probably hasn't been chlorinated in a while .................ask if they can maintain that for you for now ....................and thank you for the positive rating............ I trust you were able to make an informed decision or better yet your problem was resolved......or will be......if you need anything else home improvement wise....... construction…….decorating...... or any kind of repairs etc....... please look for me ......it has been a pleasure

Customer/p>