Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

I have the sentry safe. When I put in the correct

Customer Question
I have the sentry...

I have the sentry safe. When I put in the correct combination I get the unlocked sign, but doorhandle will not release insde lock bars. Basically door will not open!

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?

CSW4747

Contractor's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

About 2 weeks ago...was out of town for 9 days.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?

Guess Not

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Home Improvement
9/6/2017
Home Improvement Expert: Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor replied 11 months ago
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor

Hi............

1-) I would recommend is change the batteries …… making sure to use only fresh, alkaline or lithium batteries (NOT rechargeable ones). Make sure the batteries are seated correctly with the positive and negative…. If there is any corrosion in the battery holder, clean it out with a Q-tip and alcohol ……let it dry and reinsert the batteries.

2-) be sure of your combination and enter it …….you should see a display on your keypad and hear beeping as you enter the numbers. If you don't see/hear anything, there may be something defective with your keypad and/or the opening mechanism/actuator which may be preventing the bars from retracting.

3-) it could be that all of the moving parts are in need of some lubricant ........what you can try is to put in the combination............tap around on the door (hinge side not necessary) with a rubber or wooden mallet while lifting the handle ..........you might need to try this a few times .....if it opens, then empty the contents from your safe, lube those moving parts including thee hinges with WD-40, flex the handle a few times shut it and see if that did the trick

use WD40 especially on the opening mechanism inside the door and also on the part of the bars that are closest to the door, enter your combination and try pushing on the bars to get them to retract. You can also use a rubber mallet or a hammer with a towel wrapped around the head to tap on those bars and try to get them to retract.

Please let me know if there is an override key on this model and how things went

Thanks

eddie

I hope you found my answers to your questions helpful and insightful and would consider a positive rating so I can receive credit for my help. I'm proud of the work I do here and the positive ratings given by clients like you!

Thanks

eddie

If you have any additional questions so that I can receive credit or any concerns, construction.......decorating....... any kind of repairs, etc I will be here for you

thank you

eddie