Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Experience:  owner of Island Pro-Craft
90350505

I have two garage door openers. One is an Old Sears Model

I have two garage door openers. One is an Old Sears Model 139.53699SR. The other is a New Model 139.30498. Since the new model has a 3-Function Remote, decided to try and use one of the remote buttons as an opener for the old garage door unit and the center button for the new unit. It made the connection, but now both doors open together when I press the center button. What's more, on the keypad remote, the old door will now open when you just push "enter."How can I either 1) disconnect the old garage door opener's wireless transmissions to the new remotes (erase the codes); or 2) set up the new remotes to work properly on both doors?

let's try this ........usually there is a sequence to follow..........

please follow these instructions implicitly for both openers at the same time

ERASE THE TRANSMITTERS:

hold down the LEARN button on the opener for 6 or 7 seconds….If you have a MY-Q device …immediately press and hold the LEARN button again until the learn LED goes out. All codes are now erased.

HARD RESET:

unplug the opener what should be for a good minute......in the meantime remove the batteries from the transmitters including the key less.....and if you have a battery back-up.....there is no battery in the wall transmitter…..plug back in the opener and replace the batteries which should be fresh

Do you know how to re program the transmitters? Hold them with-in 16 inches of the opener when you do

This is starting off with something simple and hopefully it will resolve the issue......

Always allow me time to prepare information for you. In case I have to go offline I am always checking back to keep things moving and expedited…..Please let me know how it goes

And thank you for your help and assistance

eddie

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I tried the "hard reset," but that did not work. Unplugged both units. Removed the batteries from the two keyless remotes and the keypad entry remote. Waited for about 5 minutes. Then replaced the remote batteries and reconnected the units to the power outlets. The old door opener is still connected to the new remotes.

okay we can try just programming it to the newer opener ......the old one may now be throwing things off.........so unplug the old opener and follow the hard reset instructions again and concentrate only on the new opener..............before programming the remotes ......see if the wall transmitter is working the right way..........then do the remotes.........do you know if they have dip switches?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That did not work either. I disconnected power from both units. Removed the batteries on all three remotes. Waited about 10 minutes. Then reconnected power to the new unit and replaced the remote batteries. Programmed the new unit so it works properly with the remotes. Then re-powered the old unit. It still connects to the new remotes. There are no dip switches on the new remotes (and I do not have the old machine's remotes anymore).

what happened to them and just how old is the old opener?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The old unit was probably installed in the late 1990's. The remotes were lost over time. We mainly just use the hard-wired wall mount switch.

you can buy a new receiver and remote but the whole deal will cost about 60. .............a new opener starts at 150. .........

If I may ……… that before you spend money replacing major parts……..if I can make you aware that you do have that other option to upgrade your opener ……and consider replacing it………..here is why........ we ran through whatever could have been the possible cause you are telling me in what amounts to it is acting very erratically .....it could very well be that through the years with all the power fluxes and surges it fried the logic board..........I hate to be the bearer of bad news but a garage door opener has a life expectancy of 10 -12 years Being that your door opener is a bit antiquated it is very likely to soon fail you at the most inopportune time say inclement weather……. thus locking you either out of your garage. Or even worse yet if you need to get into your garage fast… due to security issues.

-Unless your opener has been modified at some point after its original installation ……….. it may have altered or no safety sensors (infrared beams) to make it stop and then reverse on its way down if something such as an animal or small child or your car etc……….. gets in the way of the closing door. This by itself makes it dangerous and even illegal according to current building code. It is just not safe.

-New… safe….quiet… user friendly and the best part ……self-diagnosing

- it is the perfect weekend project where you can save on labor on the install

-the tracks the garage door are okay to keep unless you see signs that the rollers are wearing in which case they can be replaced.

Overall consensus is the Chamberlain Liftmaster/Craftsman brand openers are the most reliable on the market today……. they seem to last a bit longer than other brands before they start to malfunction and are easy and inexpensive to repair ………without having to purchase a new opener unit. I recommend these brands to my clients because of their reliability……… a new Chamberlain Liftmaster/Craftsman opener that is properly installed should last 10-12 years before any problems occur…….and that the tracks are maintained....I hope this held some content for you so you can arrive at a discernible solution

Thanks

eddie

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok. Thank you.

Thank you for the positive rating............ I trust you were able to make an informed decision or better yet your problem was resolved......or will be......if you need anything else home improvement wise....... construction…….decorating...... or any kind of repairs etc....... please look for me ......it has been a pleasure

Customer/p>