David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor
Experience:  Owner at Floridaco
99480491

I've been reading about solutions for off-centre lighting.

Hi I've been reading about solutions for off-centre lighting. We are renovating kitchen and would like to change the lighting, but the island is off-cetnre
JA: Just to clarify, are you working with a contractor?
Customer: No, doing ourselves
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: just that the box is perfectly centred with the window but the island is a few inches to the right
What type of lighting are you thinking about installing
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hoping about 3 pendants

O​k no problem. The best way is to install electrical boxes in the ceiling where you want to fixtures, then wire them in series/parallel. If you want to control them separately from the kitchen lights, just add another switch and tie everything together with the correct size and type wiring.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We're not close to actually installing yet, just getting ideas.

Pendant lights are small and have small bases so it is important to place the electrical boxes in the exact location. Wiring is simple and straight forward.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My concern with that is that the centre focal point will not be right.

I​f you need more help on this you can forward me a layout of the room and I can review what you are thinking/planning and if I see something missing or questionable, I will bring to you attention for consideration.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
can I email a picture?

P​endant lights have a way of enhancing off center furniture, counter tops, vanities, tables, bar tops, etc. Sometimes 2 is better than 3 or vice versa, but send what you have, I'll be happy to review.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok, will send pic a bit later, just in middle of making supper

ok

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok pardon the mess. Let me know if too dark
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Maybe better

A​ couple of options to consider... install 2 or 3 pendants over the island and don't fret too much about the off center issue, maybe substitute trac lighting so you can put in lights that angle to where you want them instead of cords hanging down, or if you are not opposed to continuing the drop down part of the ceiling around the kitchen to separate it more from the living room area. This would give you the kitchen lighting you would like and the pendant lights over the island.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Do you think one of those flexible tracks would look ok?

M​ight pick up one at your favorite home improvement center and place it on the ceiling temporarily, if you don't like it, just return it. that would then narrow your options. If you decide you like it, then you already have it and just need to install it.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok thank you

I​f you need additional help just let me know.

Best,

Dave