john
john, master tech
Experience:  20 plus years
6149662

Our toilet has started leaking a small amount of clear water

Our toilet has started leaking a small amount of clear water from the base when flushed. The water has no color or smell, I even used food coloring to dye the water dark blue (in the tank and bowl), and none of the water that has come out has had even the slightest tint. The toilet has been in place for less than 7 year if that matters much.
I've checked all around the connections/lines and they are bone dry.This is the model: https://www.us.kohler.com/us/Kathryn-Comfort-Height-one-piece-compact-elongated-1.28-gpf-toilet-with-AquaPiston-flush-technology,-left-hand-trip-lever-and-concealed-trapway/productDetail/toilets/939493.htm;jsessionid=E02C001D1EF39CFDC187765FDC2894DB.kohler-prod1-ecom2?skuId=939486This reddit thread is almost identical to what I'm seeing: https://www.reddit.com/r/Plumbing/comments/571ib1/5_plumbers_stumped_with_my_strange_toilets_leaks/?st=j6ik3oxh&sh=95aca19aMy question is simply, should I plan on replacing only the wax ring and seeing if that works, or just replace the toilet?
Thanks for any help!!

is the wax ring leaking? can you unbolt it and replace the ring?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Well, I CAN but that's kinda the point of the question. The toilet was installed in a remodel about a year before we bought the place. So, the wax ring is only 7 years old and the bolts have been perfectly tight the entire time we've been here. Plus, everything I've read gave the impression if the wax ring was faulty, the leak would be waste water. As I mentioned, the water has been perfectly clear with no odor even when I dyed the water in the bowl AND tank dark blue.I don't want to go through all the effort of replacing the wax ring if the odds are better that there is a crack somewhere necessitating a new toilet. I am very short on time to work on this kinda thing and it's the only bathroom in the house so multiple rounds of repair is far from ideal.The question basically is am I wrong and somehow the wax ring is leading to a leak of clean water or are the odds better of a crack...I'd like to get it all taken care of in one fell swoop.

are you sure its not leaking down from the tank?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Yep. If you look at the model I linked to, it's a seamless one-piece tank & bowl combined. All the hook-ups are completely dry...not just to the touch but I ran paper towels over everything and the only stuff it picked up was dust. Towels were bone dry.

whe you dyed the water what happened?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
flushed a few times, eventually some water leaked from under the base, and that water was totally clear. Put down a plain white paper towel and there was no color to the water whatsoever.

they it has to be a crack or a pore in the porcealin...if the lines and fittings are dry

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Those can just open up over time, huh?

its rare but it can happen...if it was mine id replace it before it rotted my bathroom floor

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
yeah....we're on a slab so the damage wouldn't be as bad as a second story bathroom but by all means, the sooner the better.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
how long does it usually take to replace a toilet, start to finish?

i can do one in a hour taking my time including clean up