Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Experience:  owner of Island Pro-Craft
90350505

I need to tell whether an electrical wire needs to be

I need to tell whether an electrical wire needs to be replaced

Hi................ is it old wire and crumbling?.............is it made from aluminum?...........is the wire in question cut too short to work with?............is there any exposed metal where it shouldn't be ?...............or do you feel there is something wrong with the circuit?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It is not made from aluminum.I accidentally nicked it while doing a project but I can't tell whether it needs to be replaced, use a junction box, liquid tape, etc. Other than that it is a 15 amp circuit.

I can't tell something............this is a single and not multi- stranded wire right?...........those white strands I am looking at is insulation correct?.........you said 15 amp but I want to be sure .......they make a splicer that you can use ..........just give me a ;ittle time to get the resource on it for you

you'll find something on this page that will work............I just didn't know how many you wanted to get or spend

http://www.homedepot.com/s/wire%2520splice?NCNI-5

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I believe it is single but I can't tell without cutting it open.The white part is insulation as far as I can tell. It does look like a type of fiber.The wire is taut though so if I were to splice, I would need to add wire. Is that your recommendation?

okay as long as we think it is single and I believe it is all you need to do is wrap it good with electrical tape...........and everything is working correct?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
all the outlets are working.

and lights?....................okay so the wire is not broken and has current through pulsing through......just do yourself a favor ..either make a mental note or put it on a file on your computer (date...time...cause...effect and location) that someday it may create a problem if something does get knocked out and then you'll need to repair it

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
lights are working on that circuit. Thank you for your help

you are quite welcome..........anytime ........and thank you for the positive rating............ I trust you were able to make an informed decision or better yet your problem was resolved......or will be......if you need anything else home improvement wise....... construction…….decorating...... or any kind of repairs etc....... please look for me ......it has been a pleasure

Customer/p>