Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

My water Co. tells me that I am using over 12 thousand

Customer Question
My water Co. tells...

My water Co. tells me that I am using over 12 thousand gallons of water every month if so my house would be floting I am on a slab no pool I have a 1400 house on a lot 65 by 100 I had anew water heater installed in Jan 2016 water Co. put in meter in 2015 I think water Co. says meter is going back and forth trouble is not on their side it is with my water heater I hired a plumber to come and check and see if their is a leak on my side could not find leak water Co.still says it;s on my side please help

Contractor's Assistant: Who manufactured the pool?

NO POOL

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Don*t know yet

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Just tell me where i can find leak PLEASE

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Home Improvement
8/5/2017
Home Improvement Expert: Rick, General Contractor replied 6 months ago
Rick
Rick, General Contractor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of your situation.

The only posibility other than a faulty meter is a leak under the slab. The meter should have an indicator that will move even with a small leak. Turn all faucets, hoses, irrigation systems off in the house then check the meter. Is anything moving?

The only thing that I see move is a little red triangle and it goes back and forth but when I close the value on the water heater it stops. I turn It back on and it starts again 12 thousand gallons every month my house would be floting and water coming out somewhere I have nothing

That's little triangle moving indicates you have a leak. If the plumber didn't find any then the leak is under the slab. I can't say if it can account for that much water usage but you do have a leak. A leak detection service is your best bet to find it. I agree that 12k gallons is a lot. It could be a clerical error. You probably should note the meter reading from month to month and compare it to what the water department says it is

Brian
Brian
Brian, Architect