Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

I moved into a nee apartment about 2 months ago. The shower…

I moved into a nee...
I moved into a nee apartment about 2 months ago. The shower stall was clean when I moved in but now there is an accumulation of dirt on the floor of the stall. Is that dirt from my body or is it coming out of the pipes with the water? Whats the best way to clean it?
This was suppose to be to a home improvement expert
8/5/2017
Rick
Rick, General Contractor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

That's not dirt it's mold/mildew. Bleach or a bleach based cleaner like Tilex is the best product to clean this. But this is an indication that water is staying on the tile and shower base too long. You need more air circulation in the shower or dry the walls and base when you finish showering

Is it dangerous?

Not really, if you have a mold allergy you might want to wear a mask while you clean but with the Tilex products you spray it on and let it set for a while. When you come back everything is pretty dead.

Is there a piece of equipment or appliance I could put in the bathroom that would solve this problem? Like say a dehumidifier?
Tilex? Do you just spray on the floor let it sit and then run the shower so it goes down the drain? Is it dangerous if I don't get it all off and I end up standing in it when I take a shower the next time or from the fumes?

Tilex is the cleaning product I mentioned in my first post. Standing in it is not harmful. Just follow the instructions on the bottle. You could put a dehumidifier in the bathroom or just wipe the walls down when you're done showering.

Rick
Rick, General Contractor