Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

My Liftmaster Professional opens the garage door about once…

Customer Question
My Liftmaster Professional opens...

My Liftmaster Professional opens the garage door about once a week in the middle of the night without anyone around. It is 17 years old and there is a outside remote that will open the door with a key code. Is my opener ready to br replaced?

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

About six months. At first we thought we were forgetting to close the door. That isn't the problem.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I will have a door company install a new one if that is what it takes.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I changed the battery in the remote. But was told that wasn't the problem.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Home Improvement
8/5/2017
Home Improvement Expert: Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor replied 8 months ago
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor

Hi ....................what is happening is a neighbor and maybe as much as a block away is on your same frequency and it is setting it off what we can try for now and hopefully it will be a simple fix is to..............

do a hard reset and then re program.......

ERASE THE TRANSMITTERS: hold down the LEARN button on the opener for 6 or 7 seconds….If you have a MY-Q device …immediately press and hold the LEARN button again until the learn LED goes out. All codes are now erased.

HARD RESET: unplug the opener what should be for a good minute......in the meantime remove the batteries from the transmitters including the key less.....and if you have a battery back-up.....there is no battery in the wall transmitter…..plug back in the opener and replace the batteries which should be fresh

Do you know how to re program the transmitters? Hold them with-in 16 inches of the opener when you do

Please let me know how it goes

Thanks

eddie

I hope you found my answers to your questions helpful and would consider a positive rating so I can receive credit for my help. I'm proud of the work I do here and the positive ratings given by clients like you!

Thanks

eddie

Eddie
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor