Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Experience:  owner of Island Pro-Craft
90350505

I have an old cold spot window air conditioner. It has two

I have an old cold spot window air conditioner. It has two levers on the front labels exhaust and fresh air. Does it matter if these are up or down? Thank you.
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: There's no thermostat setting but cool med cool and hi. It works but I want to make sure I'm operating it right. Don't know how to check the filters.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes and I live alone and am 71 yr old lady. It was my Dads
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Do I just take off the plastic face cover to check the filters. Not sure it has filters.

Hi ............if you are using the air conditioner you want both fresh air and exhaust closed ........to check if you just put it on fan you will feel the outside air being exchanged...........there most likely is a foam filter if you do remove the cover .........you can vacuum it out if it has dust on it

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I think the foam has deteriorated? How can I get someone to come out and fix or replace this aged air conditioner?

I think the best thing to do IS to replace it ............the one you have is antiquated maybe from the 70's.......it is not energy efficient anymore...........I don't know what stores you have by you but most will do an install and cart the old one away....they would have to discharge or empty the Freon........hopefully they won't charge you .........or the town where you reside may do it too

I am sending this again.......it doesn't look like it went thru..............

I hope you found my answers to your questions helpful and would consider a positive rating so I can receive credit for my help. I'm proud of the work I do here and the positive ratings given by clients like you!

Thanks

eddie

Thank you for the positive rating............ I trust you were able to make an informed decision or better yet your problem was resolved......or will be......if you need anything else home improvement wise....... construction…….decorating...... or any kind of repairs etc....... please look for me ......it has been a pleasure

Customer/p>