Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

Second opinion] When we came home, our garage door opener…

Customer Question
Second opinion] When we...

Second opinion] When we came home, our garage door opener just didn't work from the built in car remote or from the remote garage door opener, but works from the door key pad and the keyless entry--had been working fine up to that point. We've put new batteries in the remotes, we've tried to reprogram and when that didn't work, we clear the programming and it will not reprogram on the remote, and therefore the car remote entry will not reprogram either

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

4-5 hours ago we came home and we've been working off/on since then to see what we can do to get it going again.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

We'd like to.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

We had a severe storm with power outage 5 days ago, but the remotes have been working fine since then until now.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Home Improvement
7/29/2017
Home Improvement Expert: Neil, Engineer replied 11 months ago
Neil, Engineer

Hi

It sounds like the receiver has died... What is happening when you try to learn the remotes in? Does it go through the necessary steps but not appear to see the remote?

For more specific help I will need the make and model of the opener

It doesn't appear to go through any steps.

That points to the main controller board... What is the make and model?

These normally learn in a very straight forward manner, if you are not getting the corresponding lights come up when you press the learn button it points to a control board failure..