David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor
Experience:  Owner at Floridaco
99480491

I have an interior design question....regarding painting a

Customer Question

I have an interior design question....regarding painting a staircase, surrounding walls and trimming out a stained glass window. If there is an expert willing to give advice on color scheme I will attach photos. Thanks.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  David Bowden replied 2 months ago.

Hello… my name is ***** ***** I am very knowledgeable in this subject to help answer your question, would you like my expert advice today?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi David,
It's not so much that I need advice about how to paint , but figuring out a color scheme...
So...I've stripped and sanded down the 130 year old staircase at my house, it's all back down to bare oak.
I also have a stained glass window and a leaded glass window with a design in the same area....I want everything to look good together, but I don't want to make a mistake choose too much white, or too much natural wood.
If you think you can help, I'll include photos and what I have in mind. Thanks.

Ok I understand your question better now, please give me a few moments to type my response which will appear shortly.

Please note that you have asked a specific question that I may or may not be able to help you answer or resolve this problem, however I will continue to try to the best of my ability.

130 year old staircases have character and most likely a lot of detailed craftsmanship

if the staircase is to be a huge focal point, you might consider how it was originally meant to look

over the years I may have received several coats of paint for various reasons, but it may not have been painted when 1st built

as a professional painter I can think of 2 options that might help you

consult your local paint supply store like Dunn Edwards or Vista or Frazee, etc. not a home improvement store. Many times they can put colors together through computer renderings so you can see multiple options of color schemes, 2, 3, 4 or more colors

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Here are some photos of the staircase anda photo of the color scheme I was gong to
Go with....keep the stair treads , handrail and corner posts natural wood, stained a little darker....paint white everything else.
There is also a photo of how the other windows in the house are trimmed out...I am debating whether to paint the wood around the glass windows white or to keep natural.
I am leaning towards painting while and trimming out with all white trim to match the rest of the house.

the other option is if you have a local architectural fixtures or antique store. These places can give you a lot of insight of period decorations.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Staircase was never painted. But many, many coats of varnish! I had to use st

nice photos

I would also consider what type of oak is it? white or red?

if you plan to stain, red oak takes stains a lot differently than white oak does

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Very true..I'm not sure about the oak...I have red oak flooring,. I like natural wood but I think too much natural wood is out of date and too dark… That's why I would like a mixture of white and natural…

walls can be painted consistent throughout

stained glass trim should be consistent with whatever you do on the stairs

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Light gray walls...what do you think around the colored window and leadedglass window...I'm thinking to paint the dark wood white and trim around white?

Thank you for allowing me to help answer and possibly resolve your question today, however before you log off I ask that you please take a few seconds and consider selecting the 5-STAR rating located on the rating box which will complete and close out your question.

Please note the rating itself does not agree to or acknowledge complete overall satisfaction, it merely signifies that I have acted in a professional manner and made a reasonable attempt to help answer your question to the best of my ability, based on my experience.

If you have any disputes or feel that this site didn’t perform to your expectations, please contact customer service/support to request a refund.

It won't hurt to take some extra time and really consider options, after all once you start it is hard to change

h​ope this helped, Dave

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
thanks