Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

I am trying to replace the Chamberlain Whisper Drive garage

door opener backup battery .....
I am trying to replace the Chamberlain Whisper Drive garage door opener backup battery ... however when I open the battery compartment, it is pushed in about 1/2 inch and there is no way to grab it to pull it out. What do you suggest I use to remove to old battery? I do not see any electrical connections on the side of the battery that is visible.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: This is the first time I'm trying to replace the backup battery, got a replacement from HomeDepot that is the correct model number for replacing the old battery backup
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Are you reading my answers? I am doing the work.
JA: No. I'm the Small Engine Technician's Assistant. Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I am not a technician. I looked online for the instructions and saw the video's put out by Chamberlain. I also read the instructions in the users manual and those that came with the replacement battery. My issue is I cannot grasp the old battery to remove it from it's compartment so I can disconnect it and connect the new one.
7/14/2017
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor

Hi..............what you can try is get a piece out duct tape and make it with a tab .......stick it firmly to the battery face and then pull it out by the tab..........a flat putty knife could help too ............the terminals should be on the top and they just pull off ............please let me know

Thanks

eddie

Yeah ... I already tried that, but the duct tape doesn't stick hard enough to pull out the battery. I also tried a putty knife but there is no leverage for gripping .... Do you have any other suggestions? That battery compartment only leaves about 1/8 of an inch of space at the top and less than that at the bottom. I don't have any caliper-type tools that are slim enough to fit in the narrow space or open wide enough to fit eather. Really at a loss for what to try next ... that's why I thought I'd ask an expert.
Also - in the video's I watched that are put out by Chamberlain, and also in the owners manual, it shows the terminals being on the face showing outward, so you see the terminals when you open the compartment. I imagine that would allow for gripping of the terminal ends to assist in pulling out the battery from it's compartment. Mine isn't installed that way, and I don't know if the installers did it wrong or if my model didn't have long enough connector wirs to allow for placing it that way.
Correction ... the space on the bottom is nothing ... the space on the sides is less than the space at the top.

do you think that battery may have leaked some corrosive material and is stuck to add to the problem?......a putty knife is almost zero clearance so I would really try to pry it up somehow and use the tape at the same time

No, I don't see anything that suggest the battery leaked, plus it still works ... it's just beeping all the time because the battery is low. It's only been beeping for the couple of weeks it's taken me to locate and receive a replacement battery. .... So, your suggestion to using the putty knife is to use it as a spatula? I hadn't thought of that and will try it later this morning. I'll get back to you to let you know if that worked or we need another solution.

here may be another method .......but please wear protective gear especially goggles.........but since that battery is shot .................drill a hole and tap it if you have a die set and put a bolt in and then pull it by that ........or just a hole and then jam a tool in it .............maybe needle nose pliers and get it that way .............or at the very top of thae battery drill a hole on an angle where it would make a hole at the very side and top and put a wire through it

you know you don't really need the battery per say it is only if the power goes out ..........especially if you have another access point

Yeah ... ok ... I don't think I would try this method as the battery still has a bit of juice in it and I would be afraid. Plus, I don't have a tap and die set. I do have a drill and drill bits but it's not high powered so I don't know if it would drill through the battery wall anyway.I'll get back to you within the hour on using the putty knife as a spatula to slightly lift the battery and try to pull it out that way with the slight assist the duct tape will provide before it peels off the face of that battery surface.

sounds good .............lets hope it works

Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
It Worked!!! No need for the duct tape either .... I found, in my kitchen utensil draw and pair of long tongs that I slightly bent the clam shell ends to make them straight instead of curved in ... and then used a putty knife ... didn't have a narrow one handy, so I used the corner of a wider one I did have to shimmy the battery out just enough so I could grip themwith the kitchen tongs. Then it was a snap to pull the battery out.The putty knife needed several attempts to get it to just the point where I could grasp the battery with the tongs ... kept going back and forth ...When I installed the new battery, I did it with the wires clips facing out as the directions said ... and now I know why the installers installed it backwards ... there is enough of one wire (for the top terminal) but you need to push the battery into place before you can slip on the bottom wire because it's about 1/8" too short. ... some slight design mis calculation. Ha. Thanks Eddie. Now I just need to wait for the battery to charge and then test it tomorrow.
Bye, and thanks again for the suggestions you gave me.

you are very welcome I am so glad you're up and running again........and thank you for the positive rating............ I trust you were able to make an informed decision and your problem was resolved.......as it seems so.......if you need anything else home improvement wise....... construction…….decorating...... or any kind of repairs etc....... please look for me ......it has been a pleasure

Customer/p>
Eddie
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor