Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

I have a Craftsman garage Door opener that went up and won't

I have a Craftsman garage...
I have a Craftsman garage Door opener that went up and won't go down
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: I opened it and it has power but when I hit the button it just clicks
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of the appliance? And has it done this before?
Customer: Craftsman 1/2 hp
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I have the cover off and looked at some You Tube Videos
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: The button on the inside of my Garage the LED light does not come on
I checked the Sensors and they are both Green. All I hear is a Click and
I have measured power at 123Vac. Same thing happens when either the Remote or the Push button on wall is pushed.
Gears appear to be good. I don't have the Model just the make 1/2 Hp Craftsman approx. 16 years old
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
7/13/2017
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor

Hi my name is ***** *****’d be happy to help you with your difficulties today but I will need some information and I will ask you questions that I will need specific answers for. With your help, finding out what is right with it, is a step to eliminate what is wrong with it ......sometimes it may be one of a hundred things but together with your patience we can work toward a goal to get this issue resolved.

1-) The make CRAFTSMAN 1/2 HP and model and/or number of the unit in question and do you have the manual for it?

2-) how old it might be 16 YEARS and if you are the original owner

3-) there are 2 safety sensors on your door do both have either an amber, or green light that is on steady and not flickering?

4-) can you tell me if you have a working wall control and how many working remotes

5-) any flashing LED lights on the opener (ceiling unit) and how many times it blinks before pausing? The color of the learn button is?

6-) has there been any kind of disruption that may have changed the dynamics with this opener....any wiring or perhaps the kids playing there or a recent power outage

7-) what happened that made it go from working to non-working ?

8-) are you using only the equipment that came with this opener?

9-) do you have a chain......belt......or screw drive?

10-) what exactly happens when you do click the transmitter?....... the door doesn't move but you hear the motor?......it goes partial way?........reverses?

11-) do you feel that you are capable of making simple adjustments and more than mechanical in making some harder ones if necessary?

We can start here and with the info you provide I will add steps toward our target as we proceed by our correspondence

If by some reason a resolution to the problem just isn't possible, I will do my best to supply you with any remaining options, from what other resources I can find.

Since we take pride in our good reputations, and you might feel the need to choose a bad service rating, I ask that you stop and consider replying back to me with any of your concerns.

Please always allow me time to prepare information for you. In case I have to go offline I am always checking back to keep things moving and expedited.

And thank you for your help and assistance

eddie

Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Chain Drive, Nothing Happens when I hit the button just a Click. No motor movement and the
Bulb in front does not appear to work even after replacing? Both Sensors are Green and clean.
We are only using the remotes that came with it. Same garage opener on other door works fine.
I hear it click from the wall mounted opener
Phone call session started

Hi Jeff........Overall consensus is the Chamberlain Liftmaster/Craftsman brand openers are the most reliable on the market today……. they seem to last a bit longer than other brands before they start to malfunction and are easy and inexpensive to repair ………without having to purchase a new opener unit. I recommend these brands to my clients because of their reliability……… a new Chamberlain Liftmaster/Craftsman opener that is properly installed should last 10-12 years before any problems occur…….and that the tracks are maintained....I hope this held some content for you so you can arrive at a discernible solution

And thank you for the positive rating............ I trust you were able to make an informed decision or better yet your problem was resolved......or will be......if you need anything else home improvement wise....... construction…….decorating...... or any kind of repairs etc....... please look for me ......it has been a pleasure

Customer/p>
Eddie
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor