Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

I have a i/2 HP craftsman Garage door opener. 2 different

days when I left my...
I have a i/2 HP craftsman Garage door opener. 2 different days when I left my house after closing my garage door and I returned home the door was already open. The 1st day I was able to close it with my remote control. the 2nd day none of my controls worked. I checked my safety lights and all were working properly. There was no obstruction. I replaced my capacitor to no avail. What should my next step be?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: For 2 weeks
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: The power to the door opener is good. I hear a clicking when I use my remote control; but I never hear the motor do any thing
JA: Have you tried power cycling the appliance -- unplugging it and leaving it off for a few hours?
Customer: The only time I had the power off was to replace the capacitor and that only took about 15 min.
7/12/2017
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor

Hi it could be one of two things........the first you may have a slight short in one of the controls or wores leadin to them....have you done any rearranging with anything?..............and two you may have a neighbor who just installed an opener like yours and is on the same frequency.......lets try this and see if it will be a simple fix for us.......

ERASE THE TRANSMITTERS: hold down the LEARN button on the opener for 6 or 7 seconds….If you have a MY-Q device …immediately press and hold the LEARN button again until the learn LED goes out. All codes are now erased.

HARD RESET: unplug the opener what should be for a good minute......in the meantime remove the batteries from the transmitters including the key less.....and if you have a battery back-up.....there is no battery in the wall transmitter…..plug back in the opener and replace the batteries which should be fresh

Do you know how to re program the transmitters? Hold them with-in 16 inches of the opener when you do

This is starting off with something simple and hopefully it will resolve the issue.......Please let me know how it goes

Thanks

eddie

Eddie, I did everything that you suggested; but no luck I even took the chain off of the sprocket to make sure nothing was binding and all I get when I use the transmitter was like a clicking sound but no movement of the motor.It doesn't matter if I use the wall transmitter or the portable transmitter.

how old is the opener?...................have you gotten a lot of power outages?............the very last thing it could be which is most likely .......and there has been a rash of these today is the logic board

...........before you spend money replacing major parts……..make you aware that you have another option and that is to upgrade your opener ……and consider replacing it………..here is why........ we ran through whatever could have been the possible cause you are telling me in what amounts to it is acting very erratically .....it could very well be that through the years with all the power fluxes and surges it fried the logic board..........I hate to be the bearer of bad news but a garage door opener has a life expectancy of 10 -12 years Being that your door opener is a bit antiquated it is very likely to soon fail you at the most inopportune time say inclement weather……. thus locking you either out of your garage. Or even worse yet if you need to get into your garage fast… due to security issues.

-Unless your opener has been modified at some point after its original installation ……….. it may have altered or no safety sensors (infrared beams) to make it stop and then reverse on its way down if something such as an animal or small child or your car etc……….. gets in the way of the closing door. This by itself makes it dangerous and even illegal according to current building code. It is just not safe.

-New… safe….quiet… user friendly and the best part ……self-diagnosing….. openers these days start about $150.00

- it is the perfect weekend project where you can save on labor on the install

-the tracks the garage door are okay to keep unless you see signs that the rollers are wearing in which case they can be replaced.

Overall consensus is the Chamberlain Liftmaster/Craftsman brand openers are the most reliable on the market today……. they seem to last a bit longer than other brands before they start to malfunction and are easy and inexpensive to repair ………without having to purchase a new opener unit. I recommend these brands to my clients because of their reliability……… a new Chamberlain Liftmaster/Craftsman opener that is properly installed should last 10-12 years before any problems occur…….and that the tracks are maintained....I hope this held some content for you so you can arrive at a discernible solution

Thanks

eddie

I am going to have to call a service man. Thank you

I hope you found my answers to your questions helpful and would consider a positive rating so I can receive credit for my help. I'm proud of the work I do here and the positive ratings given by clients like you!

Thanks

eddie

Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor

Thank you for the positive rating............ I trust you were able to make an informed decision or better yet your problem was resolved......or will be......if you need anything else home improvement wise....... construction…….decorating...... or any kind of repairs etc....... please look for me ......it has been a pleasure

Customer/p>
Eddie
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor