Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

I have four sprinkler valves for a lawn and garden watering

system that need to be...
I have four sprinkler valves for a lawn and garden watering system that need to be replaced. I think at least 2 or 3 have bad solenoids and one has a stripped shut off cross item on the top. The name on them is Superior Controls L.A. CA. 3/4" fairway. Max pressure 160 psi and Max temp 10 degrees Farenheit. They are connected to and used to run off a Rain Dial Irritel RD-900 timer system. I need to know if there is an expert who can show me step by step how to disconnect them from the pvc pipes, disconnect the electrical wiring and how to replace all four with four new ones to restore my sprinkler system.
6/17/2017
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor

Hi .............if you could upload a few photos of your existing system it would help out considerably and I can modify it so it would be easier if you ever had to do it again

How to send a photo or file instructions

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

Thanks

eddie

Okay here are some more photos. I can only send a few at a time.
IMG_0582.JPGIMG_0582.JPGIMG_0583.JPGIMG_0583.JPGIMG_0584.JPGIMG_0584.JPGIMG_0585.JPGIMG_0585.JPGIMG_0586.JPGIMG_0586.JPG
now you have all of the pictures that I can get to transfer. Hope this is what you need. Thanks
IMG_0588.JPGIMG_0588.JPGIMG_0589.JPGIMG_0589.JPGIMG_0590.JPGIMG_0590.JPGIMG_0591.JPGIMG_0591.JPGIMG_0592.JPGIMG_0592.JPGIMG_0593.JPGIMG_0593.JPGIMG_0594.JPGIMG_0594.JPGIMG_0595.JPGIMG_0595.JPGIMG_0597.JPGIMG_0597.JPGIMG_0598.JPGIMG_0598.JPG

Hi Steve.......thank you for the pictures....... after reviewing what type of valves you have they are really easy to replace .......I can give you step by step instructions but I felt if I sent you a video courtesy of youtube it would be much better served..........

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=mcafee&p=changing+a+superior+sprinkler+valve#id=3&vid=a43b3ff337aa19cd88d491aafb8913ba&action=view

...........as I mentioned they are easy to replace and in a previous mail I thought we would put an easy disconnecting union on both the feed and the out going feed......but there is no reason to do that and make it much harder for you and you won't find anything better than where you have on there now .............meaning brass fittings............and a check valve ..........that being said.......look over the video and if you have any questions please feel free to ask...........with the wiring (the solenoid) if it is bad you would change it by the wire caps and make sure to use special exterior caps as replacements or put a little Vasilene inside of it to make it waterproof

I don't know if you have info where to get the part but here is one place

http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/Superior-Valve-Repair-Parts-s/9413.htm

I hope this answers your thoughts and questions again please let me know

Thanks

eddie

I hope you found my answers to your questions helpful and would consider a positive rating so I can receive credit for my help. I'm proud of the work I do here and the positive ratings given by clients like you!

Thanks

eddie

Hi Eddie. Sorry for the delay, I got called out of town on family business. The video is an excellent help. Now I am wondering if I can ask you a further question on this feed or if it is more appropriate I will be happy to rate you and then start a second question feed with you. My question now is can you talk me through a way to test and make sure that our solenoids are bad? With your video I will be able to fix my leaking valve but I am wondering if all of my solenoids need to be replaced. Our issue is that we are no longer able to get our timer to start the sprinklers. They do function if we turn them on manually. If I do need to replace the solenoids I may need some help in seeing how to attach the wires from each new solenoid to the cable that comes out of the timer. Please let me know when you can how we should proceed. I will provide a large bonus tip if we stay on this feed. Either way is fine with me. Thanks so much. Steve

Hi Steve .......the solenoid is a trigger or switch if you will ....once activated it magnetically goes up to open the water flow............this too is VERY easy to change out ..........I would pick up a couple of new ones to have even if the old ones are still good you will always have a back up for yourself............it is on a nut and then it is just a matter of splicing the wires and capping them you DO NOT change the wires where the magnet is ........use the end and connect it to the wire coming from the ground ........there should be a common wire that has what is called a tracer on it meaning a white stripe so you will keep those together end to end and cap........let me know if you need more assistance

Thanks

eddie

Hi Steve..........you specified that you would rate my help toward resolving your issue and I hadn’t received anything as of yet so I was wondering if you were still confused about something and needed more assistance

I held up my end how about you come through with yours?

really?

Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Eddie I am very very sorry for making you think I didn't care. I was hoping to try and make the solenoid replacement before we ended so I could ask if I needed further assistance. Unfortunately I have not been able to my wife has been in the hospital. I hopefully can ask for you again in the future if I run into problems when I get back to my project. Thanks so much. Steve

yes of course ........it will be a follow-up on this question so reply here again........just let me know when you are ready again..........I hope your wife is doing better as we speak ........and thank you for the positive rating and bonus that was nice of you

eddie

Eddie
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor