Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Experience:  owner of Island Pro-Craft
90350505

My garage door closes but immediately comes back up. I've

Customer Question

My garage door closes but immediately comes back up. I've tried the fixes mentioned in this article and found that when the door is closing and I push the button again to stop it, it goes back up. I cannot stop it on the way down but I can stop it when it is on the way up. It is an older craftsman model.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of the appliance? And has it done this before?
Customer: It's a 1/2hp craftsman, 75w max 132b2104-3, date 07/04. It has not done this before.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I am hoping to do it myself.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I don't think so.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Eddie replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is eddie. I can help you with your difficulties but I will need some information and I will ask you questions that I will need specific answers for. With your help, finding out what is right with it, is a step to eliminate what is wrong with it ......sometimes it may be one of a hundred things but together with your patience we can work toward a goal to get this issue resolved.

If I may ask:

1-) The make CRAFTSMAN and model and/or number 132B2 104-3 of the unit in question and do you have the manual for it?

2-) how old it might be 13 YEARS and if you are the original owner

3-) there are 2 safety sensors on your door do both have either an amber, or green light that is on steady and not flickering?

4-) can you tell me if you have a working wall control and how many working remotes

5-) any flashing LED lights on the opener (ceiling unit) and how many times it blinks before pausing? The color of the learn button is?

6-) has there been any kind of disruption that may have changed the dynamics with this opener....any wiring or perhaps the kids playing there or a recent power outage

7-) what happened that made it go from working to non-working ?

8-) are you using only the equipment that came with this opener?

9-) do you have a chain......belt......or screw drive?

10-) what exactly happens when you do click the transmitter?....... the door doesn't move but you hear the motor?......it goes partial way?........reverses?

11-) do you feel that you are capable of making simple adjustments and more than mechanical in making some harder ones if necessary?

We can start here and with the info you provide I will add steps toward our target as we proceed by our correspondence

If by some reason a resolution to the problem just isn't possible, I will do my best to supply you with any remaining options, from what other resources I can find.

Since we take pride in our good reputations, and you might feel the need to choose a bad service rating, I ask that you stop and consider replying back to me with any of your concerns.

Please always allow me time to prepare information for you. In case I have to go offline I am always checking back to keep things moving and expedited.

And thank you for your help and assistance

eddie

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Eddie,Thanks for your quick reply. I will respond in order of your questions.1. Yes, and no, I do not have the manual.
2. Yes, 13 years old and I am the original owner.
3. Looking from the inside of the garage out, the left sensor has a solid, ***** *****ght and the right one does not have a light.
4. Yes, working wall and 2 remotes, both original.
5. There is an ***** *****ght that flashes 6 times before pausing. I don't know where the learn button is.
6. No disruption, no kids.
7. I don't know.
8. Yes.
9. Chain belt.
10. It goes all the way down then reverses. If I try to stop it before it reaches the bottom, it reverses, but I stop it when it is going up.
11. Yes and yes.Debbie
Expert:  Eddie replied 4 months ago.

Hi Debbie .....the problem you are having is with the safety sensors...........they both should have a steady non flickering light.........a few things may have happened so we will start with the simplest of fixes first and then get more creative as we go..............perhaps somehow the sensors became out of line.....you need to align them, so as I stated the LEDS stay on ...........if you had to, you can disconnect them from the bracket(s) and bring them closer and really point them at each other ..........it's not like it is a laser but they do have to meet........see if you get any kind of light out of the dormant one.................try this first to eliminate one possibility ..........after this we will explore a bad or loose wire or a bad sensor

Thanks

eddie

Expert:  Eddie replied 4 months ago.

I hope you found my answers to your questions helpful and would consider a positive rating so I can receive credit for my help. I'm proud of the work I do here and the positive ratings given by clients like you!

Thanks

eddie