canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Handyman
Experience:  i have extensive experience in the home improvement industry. my current job is at lowes home improvement.
64367226

I had some trenching done and an underground wire was hit.

I had some trenching done and an underground wire was hit. It was covered back up because it was assumed it was an old wire that was not being used. Now an out building has lost one of its 120 Legs. I would expect to still see 120 V on the leg that is still connected but I'm only getting about 69 V.is there a reason why I would not be getting 120 V on the second line that is still connected?

Hi, I'm Mike and I have 20+ years of experience in the home improvement field. I'll be glad to assist you today.

The reason that you are not getting full voltage is because the neutral wire is disconnected somewhere. Maybe the wire you thought was not in use was not but you also hit the live wire?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It sounds like the thought is I must have hit both one of the 120 legs and also the neutral. Is that correct?

It sounds like just the neutral is cut. If the hot was partially cut and under ground the breaker would not stay on.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
One of the legs is dead and the other leg shows 67 V. If only the neutral was cut then I would think I would be getting similar voltage on the second line.

Second line? On a different circuit?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
There is another project I looked up for someone. On that project one leg reads 60 V and the other leg reads 50 V. Sounds to me like just the neutral is severed on that project.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No. There are two 120 V line going to the outbuilding to a 240 V panel.

Or not connected or a neutral wire was used as a hot originally but reconnected as a neutral. Sometimes a white neutral wire will be used between a switch and light instead of using 3 wire and using the black and red as hot it is very common to use two wire and use the black and white as hot. The second line that is dead on your project was always thought to be unused, right?