canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Handyman
Experience:  i have extensive experience in the home improvement industry. my current job is at lowes home improvement.
64367226

How does the toilet connect to the sewer line. The reason I

How does the toilet connect to the sewer line. The reason I ask is, the power went out in my house and we are on a sump pump system. The water started backing up into my tub and my toilet stopped flushing. When this happened, water started seeping out from where the toilet meets the floor. The power is back on an everything seems fine. No leaking any more, but my toilet does rock back and forth slightly. Should I be worried about this connection under general use. How rigid is the connection?

Hi, I'm Mike and I have 20+ years of experience in the home improvement field. I'll be glad to assist you today.

Is this toilet in a basement?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
its a bottom unit, house is on a slope so im above ground level still.

Is there more than one bathroom? Is it a single floor home?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
on my floor, just one bathroom. 2 stories above me, and I think three bathrooms. Still unsure if we are on the same sump pump or on different ones.

Was it backing up into your home even though it was not being used?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I used water until it backed up. I am renting and did not understand the mechanics of the system until now. But because of this I do not know if the floors above effected my issue.

They very well may have. The bathroom the toilet is in is connected to a sump basin with a pump. When the basin is full the pump turns on and pumps the waste up to a drain pipe. When the power is off then the waste is not pumped and it overflows like you have experienced. If the upstairs units are connected to the same drain pipe and are also being pumped out then there is supposed to be a one way valve installed on the drain pipes in your units to prevent backups in your space caused by the upstairs units. The reason that all may be pumped is that the drain pipe leaving the building may be lower than the sewer pipe that serves it. The toilet will certainly need to be removed and reset. The landlord should assess whether the sump basin serves the whole building and if there were one way valves installed and if they were installed in the proper places to prevent unnecessary messes. It very well may be that the only drain pipes in the building on the pump are on your floor but there would not be any way to tell for sure without an analysis of the system.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Are you implying that the toilet connection has been compromised?

Yes, this is certainly the case and is likely a result of poor installation rather than the sewer backing up. The toilet should still be secure whether the pipe is backed up or not. The back up just expedited the situation involving the toilet being loose.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
okay thanks for your time. Ill have it checked out

You are very welcome.