canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Handyman
Experience:  i have extensive experience in the home improvement industry. my current job is at lowes home improvement.
64367226

I have a Whirlpool water heater (model WU40T62-403) I

I have a Whirlpool water heater (model WU40T62-403) I purchased from Lowes and it's under warranty until 2019. Last weekend, my water heater started to experience delayed ignition every time we shower or use the dishwasher. I've had two water heater techs tell me the control valve until needs to be replaced but ultimately, the entire water tank needs to be replaced completely to avoid this happening again. One says because due to the sediment is in the tank, the tank is now useless. I just want to confirm this is true as they quoted me to install a new water heater (not sure if it includes the new unit itself) but it's several hundred dollars. They also instructed me to call Whirlpool to get replacement water heater rather than a replacement part.

Hi, I'm Mike and I have 20+ years of experience in the home improvement field. I'll be glad to assist you today.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hey Mike, Good to meet you. I hope you can help me resolve this. The one tech was a super fast talker and the other person my father met with so I have no idea if I can trust him either. I don't want to be taken adv of it.

I did not find anything under the model number provided. What type of water heater is this?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ultra Low Nox Gas Water Heater with Flame Lock Safety system.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
by Whirlpool.

You are right to question what was said for sure. Sounds kinda shady. What do you mean delayed ignition? Isn't it a tank water heater? Do you ever run out of hot water?

With a tank water heater the burner only ignites when the water in the tank gets cold, not every time you use it so you really can expect that it will ignite when the water in the tank needs to be heated which would be much after a shower, bath or using any hot water for an extended period of time.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It's a traditional gas heater with a tank. Oops. the model is NU40T62-403. I think it's 40-50 tank heater
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
http://www.whirlpoolwaterheaters.com/products/natural-gas/nu40t62-403

So, not running out of hot water then? Is it leaking?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No leaking or we get hot water just fine daily for the last 4 days.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Just a crazy explosive sounding boom when we use a significant amount of hot water. Then you hear the gas churning for 15-20 minutes after and a gas smell lingering during it.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The one I talked to wanted to charge me $125 to even come out and diagnose the problem. The other guy was free but both of them said Whirlpool was one of the worst brands to purchase and tried to push Bradford White heaters on us.,

I see, well it does sound like there is an issue that needs to be addressed. Does the warranty not cover labor?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No, only parts and entire tank if there is leaking.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Only within the first year of usage and this heater has been in service for years.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
re: free labor

Well, they are going to send you the parts. Very doubtful they will provide a new water heater. I am sure it is a common issue with that model and they are familiar. It is likely a failing gas valve that needs to be replaced. If the fast talker does not sound like he is able to do it then find someone else. Whoever does the work should replace the gas valve or other parts that they determine and also flush it really well. The whole thing might cost about $150 in labor unless you get a plumbing company to do it. Then it will be about $280.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The second plumber advised me to lie to Whirlpool so I can get a new heater. Is that advisable? I 've never dealt with a replacement of a water heater. I assume that they will direct me back to Lowes to pick up another water heater.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I don't know if Whirlpool would want me to give them back the old heater but both plumbers advised to get a brand new heater from Whirlpool or of course go with their recommendation of a Bradford

Yes, the whole lie stuff is up to you. How much were they going to charge for the replacement labor?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Well, I would have to do the leg work to get the free parts from Whirlpool. Labor is another issue. I'm looking at the quote I got from the non fast talker I didn't see today: WOW. Labor cost to replace gas control valve: $587 and cost to replace burner and assembly for water heater: $385
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I think this is a plumber. The estimate sheet says rescue rooter.

A new 50 gallon water heater is $4-500 so you certainly are not going to save any money replacing it. It seems a waste when the one you have is under warranty and it would cost under $200 to fix the one you have. Replacement could cost $700 or more if they do not give you a new one. Oh no forget about rescue rooter. Hopefully whirlpool will give you a new water heater and you can pay fast talker to replace it. That would be the best. Did fast talker say that he know how to replace a gas valve?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I dismissed the fast talker. He went straight for the jugular and quoted me $950 for a new water heater installation (don't know if it even includes the unit). He didn't even want to replace the gas valve because we would be back to square 1 again in a week and i'd have to spend more money.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
if I replace the gas valve, this would resolve the gas ignition problem for the time being? The fast talker my entire water heater is ruined due to internal sediment. I would think there is sediment in every tank after a long period of time.

Surely your friends, workmates or neighbours know someone. I would find someone reliable to replace the gas valve and get whirlpool to send the parts. Just let whirlpool know what is happening and then get the new guy you find to replace any parts they send. Yes, replace the gas valve and also flush it and that will solve the problem. It might be a pressure switch too along with the gas valve. Hard to tell for sure but whirlpool will certainly know.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
do you think it'd be wise to just get other quotes from other companies to replace the gas valve and burner then?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I did ask friends...crickets. :(

Yes for sure. Right after you call whirlpool tomorrow morning. Get them to send the parts then find the right person to do the work. Maybe some neighbours know someone. If not then go to the local plumbing supply store and ask if they know anyone reliable that will work for a little cash. Surely someone will recommend a decent, reliable person.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ah okay, thank you so much for the advice, Mike. I just want to make sure I don't get taken for a ride. These quotes I got were insane.

Yes they were. Any plumbing company is going to be about what Roto Rooter will charge. Ma and Pa type businesses might be much more reasonable. Once you call whirlpool tomorrow and they tell you what parts they are sending it will be easy to get quotes. You will be a little more specific about what you need done.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Will do. I requested quotes from plumbing places via yelp (hopefully, i won't get high prices for replacement). I'll wait to hear from those people. thank you so much> I feel more confident.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'll call Whirpool tomorrow.

You are very welcome. You can still comment or ask questions even after positively rating my service if something else comes up. I am happy to continue to help and I will always respond. Mike

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
definitely. Thank you so much again. Have a good night, Mike.

Good night to you too.