Susan Latta
Susan Latta, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed Contractor and Certified Kitchen and Bath Designer
68915091

Can I use masking tape as painter tape? And what for I use

Can I use masking tape as painter tape? And what for I use masking tape?

Hi, my name is***** Contractor and Kitchen and Bath Designer. Welcome to Just Answer, I will be assisting you with your question.

It is advised not to use masking tape, but instead to use the blue painter's tape found in the paint section of most hardware or paint stores. Masking tape doesn't have the same properties and it's too sticky. It will pull off the top layer of the paper on the sheetrock sometimes, causing even bigger problems.

Blue painters tape is less sticky and comes in different widths.

If you have additional questions regarding this subject, please feel free to ask. Thank you for using Just Answer as your handy, go-to informational resource!

Susan

If you feel I have addressed your concerns, please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; this is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating, will not end our conversation, should you have additional questions surrounding this topic. Simply click on “Reply” to write back and I am happy to continue with no additional charges.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
thanks, ***** ***** i can actually use masking tape?

That's a good question.....we used to use it all the time, now I just use painters tape for my needs, and use my masking tape to label food containers going into the freezer.

Children and teenagers may find for use for it than I would. Painter's tape is fairly expensive, more so than masking tape, so if that's an issue, consider if whatever you're doing would fair okay with masking tape instead.

Just keep in mind, masking tape can leave a gummy residue after it's pulled off, it can also take paint off a wall, it can split making removal difficult. It's paper, whereas painter's tape is made from an advanced poly-back material for quicker and easier application and one-piece removal.

Children and teenagers may find more uses for it than I would.....

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
thanks so much, I used actually masking tape, last time since I bought by mistake duck tape that looks like the painter tape. and I agree masking tape seem like hard to remove but i did remove it after 1 or so after using it.