canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Handyman
Experience:  i have extensive experience in the home improvement industry. my current job is at lowes home improvement.
64367226

Canuck Sheet vinyl flooring. We replaced the carpet in our

Hi canuckSheet vinyl flooring. We replaced the carpet in our living room and hall with sheet vinyl flooring. We had a contractor do this. I have four pictures and would like to ask some questions about them.Maybe you can't answer this because prices vary by location, but can you guess at what the labor cost should be to install loose-lay vinyl sheets in a 16x16 living room, a 14 foot hall, and two closets? Roll is 12 feet long. Transition strips for 3 bedrooms, 1 bath and to the kitchen. He said no underlayment was needed because floor is in great shape. Rolled on 2 layers of Killz.1) There is a one-half inch (possibly slightly more) drop off from the kitchen ceramic tiles to the living room sheet vinyl. Is it possible to buy a transition strip "tall" enough to accommodate this difference between rooms? The strip needs to be 90 inches long. I have asked at a couple DIY stores and they say no. I can't check on the Internet because I don't know what the gap is called and can't tell by the descriptions.2) There is also a large drop off from the bathroom to the hall. He just put an underlayment and luxury vinyl planks in the bathroom. He put TWO strips to bridge the gap. Is there a better way?3) Are quarter round moldings left square at the ends or are they angled off? I thought they were angled off, but he says they don't do that anymore.4) How do you handle putting down the vinyl in door frame when there won't be any molding to hide the edges? Do you cut it as close as you can and then caulk the gaps?Thanks
Jeff
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The contractor also removed the carpet and padding and placed it at our curb.

Hi, I'm Mike and I have 20+ years of experience in the home improvement field. I'll be glad to assist you today.

I would guess the labor to be about $800-1000 plus materials cost. The drop off areas could have been built up on the low areas with plywood or floor leveling compound but the transitions installed are certainly an acceptable solution to this issue. The cost of leveling compound would have been quite a bit. The transition between the kitchen and living room is a tough transition. The solution would have been to choose a different flooring besides vinyl to help with the transition or build up the floor first before installation. The only resolution would be to do a similar transition like the doubled up transition but really the biggest issue is transitioning between the two flooring types is very difficult without building up the floor first before installation. The flooring should go under the door frame molding but this is also another situation that is caused by the lower floor. Another situation that would have been avoided had the floor been built up first. If the floor would have been built up first then the caulking gap would have been much smaller. What was done is not wrong for the situation. There would have been a gap there even if the flooring were installed under the molding rather than cutting around it. It would not look much different.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
That all makes sense. I went with him to the DIY store and bought the underlayment (which he transported). But when they pulled up the carpet and padding it seemed like the floor was remarkably sound. So he returned the underlayment and I got a refund on the material cost. I certainly didn't know to look forward in the project to think the underlayment might have a purpose other than leveling the floor. We chose the sheet specifically in case our young dog has an accident. It seemed the best choice considering it doesn't have all the seems planks do. The actual item we bought has been used in breeder's homes and came highly recommended. We LOVE the look of the floor. Visitors think it is real wood.Oh, do you think the quarter rounds should be angled or left as they are?And now that everything is in place and we didn't build up the floor, do you think the best option for the kitchen/living room transition is two sets of strips like was done with the bathroom? The sheet is not all glued down and would come up easily, but i don't know how that would help. Thanks

The quarter round is kind of a strange spot for trim anyway but I would say that angling it would look slightly better. If it were my house, I would build up the floor to meet the tile at the kitchen. Of course, I am the type who drags his feet a bit. I think I would stub my toe no matter what was there. Really the option there is either leave it the way it is or build up the floor. The transition strips would only make the transition higher and it is a high traffic area. One more option would be to tile in a transition and grout it.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
tile in a transition and grout itdo you mean put a few inches of thinner tile on the sheet level and make two smaller transitions instead of one bigger one?at this point the contractor knows we are unhappy with his work (the seam between two sheets in the living room was cut too wide and he had to fill with caulking. it would be hideous except for the fact that the design of the sheet has wide gaps built in between planks in the pattern, so you might miss it if you aren't looking. -- still the idea is to minimize seams so you don't draw attention to it not being real wood or vinyl planks) he has offered to pay to have another contractor come in and relay that (meaning $300 wasted sheet he would have to pay for too) to fix that gap.we just completely remodeled 2 bathrooms, partial face life in kitchen, and then the flooring in living room/hall. We want people out of our house. LOL If we started over on the flooring, we could add the underlayment, get the seams right, and improve the transitions. we have to decide if it is worth it to start the hassle all over again. or just smooth over what we can and live with itsee the three new pictures. it is gorgeous in person. and the finishing touches aren't even done yetthanks thanks thanks

It really does look great. Surely an experienced tile guy could tile in a transition. I am not very good at tiling but my friend is. I have seen him do it but I am not sure about the details how he did. Seems like a bit of paint on the caulk hiding the gap would hide it better so it matches the trim more.