canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Handyman
Experience:  i have extensive experience in the home improvement industry. my current job is at lowes home improvement.
64367226

We had a contractor install a new countertop a couple weeks

We had a contractor install a new countertop a couple weeks ago. It is at the end we don't use. We just found, for lack of a better term, what looks like a blister on the top near an end. It almost looks like something pointed is pushing up through the countertop and there are a couple tiny hairline cracks coming from it. (That is also near where he was using some kind of a torch to seal off the endcap.) I don't think I can take a picture of it.Do countertops sometimes come with manufacturer defects like this? I wonder if something in the base that the laminate adheres to has something coming apart inside it.Link to item -- mine is this brand, but jeweled coral quarryhttp://www.homedepot.com/p/Hampton-Bay-10-ft-Valencia-Laminate-Countertop-in-Madura-Garnet-EQ492152V10/202973384Thank you
Jeff'

Hi, I'm Mike and I have 20+ years of experience in the home improvement field. I'll be glad to assist you today.

They should not have been using a torch to attach the end piece. It should be done with an iron. The piece that you see sticking up is likely from a screw that was used to screw the counter down from underneath. The screw that was used was too long. No there should not be a defect as you described and if there were a defect then the top should have been inspected before installation and not installed with a defect.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
By screw the counter down from underneath, do you mean as part of the countertop assembly process at the plant? Or when installing the countertop to the cabinets?

When installing the top to the cabinet.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
That's what it sounds like to me too then. Thank you for your help!

You are very welcome. Basically the cabinet has some plastic clips that the installer would screw to the bottom of the counter top to hold it down. They did this but used screws that were too long.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
As it is now, it isn't a problem. Wish I could see the future and know what it will look like in ten years. LOL

It might be alright but some action has to be taken. The screw replaced with a shorter screw then iron that spot to flatten it out again. Otherwise the top surface will get a small split in it with time.